What would you do if you find 3 bite marks on your child's back?

I just found 3 bite marks on my 19th month old's back when I was taking her clothes off to take a shower after daycare. This is her 4th bite this week. The other was a day prior on her finger. Looking for advice on what you would do in this situation?

555NewParent

Asked by 555NewParent at 8:30 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would report it immediately to the head of the day care, and then I would set about to find out which child or children were responsible for biting my child. Then I would ask that the parents of the guilty party be notified. If this is a good daycare, I might give everyone a week or so to see if it happens again. If it doesn't, then I would consider leaving my child there. If it did happen again, I would be removing my child from the present dangerous situation.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:35 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Yes, call right away & get this taken care of. Four bites in one week is ridiculous. And that they didn't tell you about it is negligent. I am sure your child cried when she was bitten - did they not check on her?

The daycare needs to address the fact that another child is biting your daughter. One of my cousin's children was kicked out of daycare because he wouldn't stop biting other kids.

Also, take pictures of the bite marks.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:15 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Thank goodness my kids have only been bitten by each other. I'd probably freak, I'm so sorry :(
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:26 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Document with pictures. Call the daycare provider and expect an answer. Sounds like one of the children at daycare is out of control and needs more and better watchful eyes.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:04 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I would inform the daycare and if it doesn't stop or they won't address it, I would yank my kid. I went through this with my son. My daughter was also pushed off a chair by another child and hit her head. Having been blessed with the chance to raise another young one after the other ones were older, I decided that she would never set foot inside a daycare. I know sometimes it's the only choice, it was for me, so I'm not berating you. I'm just saying that if they don't take care of it, I would report them to the state and find another daycare.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:40 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I would do what was said above!! and a humans mouth is dirty!!! Hope this stops for you !!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 12:01 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would take pictures of the bites, and then contact the daycare provider and tell them that my child has been bitten four times while in their care, and that is not acceptable! I would hope they would take it seriously and look for the 'biter' and notify that child's (or children) parents. I would also tell the provider that if it happens again my child will NOT be back! I will find somewhere or someone else to watch her.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:13 PM on May. 28, 2011

• What does your daycare contract or book say about biting and discipline actions? When I worked at a daycare, we would write up an incident report and would have whom ever saw it or took discipline action sign it, we would also have the children who were involved parents sign the papers and them they would be given a copy and the papers would be into their files. I would look into your contract and see what it says. I would talk to the provide and ask when this happened, why you weren't notified and what was done about it. I would also let her know that if this happens again, and you are not told about it, again, you will be giving your two weeks.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:14 PM on May. 28, 2011

• tell the daycare. document the bites. even ask if you can sit in on a day of daycare just so you can see exactly what goes on there. they should have told you about the biting and they should have addressed it with you and the other parent. sounds very unprofessional to me.
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 9:56 AM on May. 29, 2011