wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 8:44 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• its wrong & weird...but abuse? come on thats dumb. its not like the child had to be spanked...did a kid ever cry or refuse b/c they were scared but were forced to go anyway? he's not a perv, he woulda used his hands not a padded stick. he's just an old man whose intentions were good, but didnt think first. he apologized & said the practice would end, that would be good enough for me if my kid went to his school. i hope he doesnt get fired over something so silly, unless theres been other problems w/ him.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:12 PM on May. 28, 2011

• So he sings happy birthday to them over the intercom, gives them a pencil & a calculator & a single swat with a padded stick. I'm sure it didn't really hurt. As far as the swat, it was poor judgement but it doesn't appear that he meant any harm or was being in any way perverse. At my kid''s martial arts school, for a birthday, at the end of class all the kids in class grab a focus pad, they line up in two rows facing each other & the birthday child runs the "gauntlet", as the child runs down between the two rows, the kids all smack him/her (or try to) gently with the focus pads. They all love it and usually remind the instructor that it's their birthday, none of them want to miss out on that little bit of birthday celebration.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:19 AM on May. 28, 2011

• LOL Minnesotanice, Yep, it appears that most are focusing on the swat on the behind, which was harmless, although the Principal should probably have spoken to the parents first being as it appears there are so many who see abuse and molestation in pretty much everything these days. Birthday swats are a tradition, in fact it used to be that you got one swat for every year so a 10 yr old pretty much got 10 light swats. So this guy gave the kid one light swat. He also gave them a small gift and sang Happy Birthday. Seems to me, he was simply recognizing the birthday and trying to make the child feel a bit special. It's really too bad that so many kids and parents feel threatened so easily these days.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:18 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I think that this principal over stepped his bounds. I don't think he meant any harm, BUT this is something that should not have taken plan in a school setting.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:22 AM on May. 28, 2011

• OLDER parents ad grandparents looked at a "Birthday Spanking": as a so-called tradition. It was a gentle pat on the bottom and didn't hurt anyone. It was NOTabuse and I would not be calling the cops.LOLOL. You guys probably are too young to know this about the traditions of the older generation. And you are as usual OVERREACTING! Humiliating? HA.
    AHhhhh,youth. @@
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:03 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Sounds like a school tradition that offended some so it was stopped- end of story-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:45 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Hello NO!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:52 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Hell NO! I would be livid. My DS Kindergarten teacher teased him about if he mommy and daddy were going to give him birthday spankings and THAT freaked him out! My child would have been in hysterics if someone had actually DONE it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:58 AM on May. 28, 2011

• My reaction is that I would be pursuing criminal charges. My son says that he would have decked the principal... he is 11.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:40 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't go as far to call it abuse, but I think it's weird. I also know that as a child it would have made me very uncomfortable.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:39 PM on May. 28, 2011