What is a good time for me to run 1.5 miles in?

I am almost 25 and haven't ran in over 7 years. I have had weight issues the past 4-5 years since I had my son and lost 30+ lbs. a couple summers ago. I have been keeping the weight loss off but am finally trying to get into running to just get into better shape. I would love to do 5K's. So I just started running a week ago and have found that I can breath fine that isn't the problem, the problem is my legs start to hurt really bad. But I figure with more running that will go away. So, right now I am running 1.5 miles in a little over 17 minutes. I know that isn't very good but I also don't think it is horrible given how long it has been since I have done any type of running! Anyway, what should I strive for? Timewise.

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 9:10 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Daytime? jk, I have no idea. I am sure someone will know.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:49 AM on May. 28, 2011

• A good run time to run in a mile and a half is about 10-13 minutes. By the marine corps standards for women anyways.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:56 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Well 15 minutes would be a 10 minute mile which is a pace of 6 mph....that's pretty moderate so I'd start there and gradually try to improve your time.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:08 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I did around 9-10 minute miles when i was running. I completed a half marathon and several smaller races. The shorter the race the faster i would let myself and push myself to go. My 5k time was 27 minutes. 10 minuete miles are pretty average. Not to fast, not too slow.It's A decent pace for long distances if your not in it to compete.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:13 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I say, as long as you're running you're doing good! There will always be room for improvement, and as a beginner 10 minutes for a mile and a half is not a reasonable time (unless you're just that awesome). I've been running consistently for about a year and I usually run it in 13:30. I am also running between 3-6 miles so it could probably be a tad faster if I wasn't pacing myself for a longer distance. Either way, LISTEN to YOUR body. You will know when you can push yourself and when you should slow it down. Going to hard to fast causes injury. Good luck and keep with it!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 12:20 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Do what feels good for you! Don't expect too much right away. I run about a 12 minute mile, which for me, is fast, over my 15 minute mile several months ago. I am still working on my pace, but you can't push yourself too hard too fast or you'll risk injury, which will just set you back. Just work on running and adding distance (no more than 10% a week). The speed will come naturally. Once you're running consistently, you can start doing intervals and other drills to work on speed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:16 AM on May. 29, 2011

• In middle school and high school we had to run a mile in under 12 minutes in order to pass PE- so that's always been my standard. So under 18 minutes I think is great. And every minute below that even better.

As you get more in shape you're going to find that it's pretty easy to run several miles in under 12 minutes.
    For most marathons they recommend that you run 10 minute miles. So maybe start with a goal of under 12 minute miles, and then later work your way down to 10. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:52 PM on May. 29, 2011

• that is good based on ur situation.. Good Job!!! you will get better with time!!!
    kristianmommy

Answer by kristianmommy at 4:05 PM on May. 29, 2011