Any recommendation with a child with severe seasonal allergies?

My daughter has seasonal allergies since birth. She either comes down with bronchitis, ear infections, severe coughs and etc... I give her Zrytec like the dr says to and she's on antibiotics right now fighting a severe ear infection. Any other advice? Anything to help relieve her pain from coughing and everything else that's she's gonig through.

Asked by kenziesmom1028 at 9:16 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Nothing OTC, I would be in almost weekly contact with her doctor and keep trying different things until they find the right combo.

Answer by meooma at 9:57 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Local honey is a really good thing. My son has used zyrtec and allegra as well as some nasal sprays, but he doesn't get sick from his allergies.

Answer by KTMOM at 11:05 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Mine has them so bad that if she just gets near someone that has walked through the yard she starts with the itchy watery eyes. We are currently using benadryl until our checkup in june and I will ask about using claritin or something else.

Answer by coala at 12:31 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My son is on zyrtec, had tubes put in his ears and all seems to be going good. he was getting ear infections and bronchitis often, I am guessing it is all related somehow. Good luck!

Answer by daerca574 at 1:27 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I thought they used to give allergy shots, talk to your Dr about it.

Answer by Leelee1008 at 5:09 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Take your child to an allergy specialist to see what the actual allergy is. Allergy shots or sublingual drops (under the tongue) may help if the allergies are that severe. Nothing OTC will work if they are severe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• How old is your daughter? My son is 5 and we have gone the whole Zyrtec and Flonase route but what I have found that works best, is Nasaline Jr, which is a nasal irrigator that you use with a special salt called Squip salt. Then I give him a natural allergy medication, called Kids Allergy Relief, which is found at The Vitamin Shoppe.

Answer by ceciliam at 10:59 AM on May. 29, 2011

• A lot depends on the child's age. Don't give honey to a child under 1. Can't test for allergies until they are about 6, I think. Mine takes Claritin, but her's are not severe. Her mother had to wind up taking a round of steroids at age 3, then wasn't ever bothered again. The saline spray is a good idea, or maybe a Neti pot if she's old enough.

Answer by elasmimi at 8:58 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I too used to have severe seasonal allergies, until I found out I'm sensitive to gluten. See an allergist for a Rast test for IgG antibodies. It's done by a blood draw. Eliminate everything she tests positive for.

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:43 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Saline Spray works wonders and you don't need much!

Answer by malexander2009 at 5:32 PM on May. 30, 2011