Pillows

At what age do you think it would be ok to let my daughter sleep with a pillow? We are getting her a big girl bed for xmas cuz the baby needs the crib. I didnt know if she was able to sleep with a pillow yet?! She just turned 17 months so by xmas she will be almost 18 months old.

Mommy2Bx32008

Asked by Mommy2Bx32008 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephew was around 2 when he got a pillow.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My daughter is 10 months and has always slept on a pillow she will not sleep any other way.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• as long as she can turn over when she feels suffocating. mine has had hers at about that age
    Anonymous

• my son started getting a pillow at about 10 months in his crib
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We gave our dd a pillow at 15 months. I was in there with her one night she was having a hard time sleeping, and watched her bunch up her blankets to make herself a little pillow. It broke my heart and I was mad at myself for not giving her one sooner. She got one that night and now she sleeps a lot better. I would just give it a try. If she isn't ready for one yet, she will let you know.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My dd had a pillow from about 15 months also,
    Chezza07

Answer by Chezza07 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Provided it is small and fairly flat, it wont' hurt her but she doesn't need one. A toddler's head is so much larger than the shoulders and body when compared to ours. We use pillows to raise our heads up. Their heads are already so large that it's not needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• A normal child over 15 months should be able to handle a pillow just fine. I made small square pillows for mine at that age with matching blankets and they became quite attached to them for naps and bedtimes - making those times easier in the long run. They moved on to bigger and better about 4.5-5yrs.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son will be 17 months on the 21st and we just gave him a pillow. He loves it. It is funny to watch him crawl up to it and lay down. Usually when I check on his he is still laying on it just fine.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My children were just over one when we gave them pillows. We started with small pillows - like throw pillow/travel pillow size. My mother made them special pillow cases out of fun, cheap fabric - we have a sesame street, diego, cars, etc...they love to choose their case when we change the sheets and take them with us when we travel too. My older son started to use a regular pillow around his third birthday.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 9:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2008