My family member believes people have machines to control the weather. Is it wrong I find her beliefs comical?

She full-hearted believes they have control over our weather. She married into the family.

We will be headed to her house later for a cookout. I am curious why she believes. I will be asking questions.  How do I keep a straight face?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Don't count her as a loon just yet. Weather modification is entirely possible, and done. In fact, The Environmental Modification Convention (ENMOD), is an international treaty prohibiting the military or other hostile use of environmental modification techniques.
    The Convention bans weather warfare, which is the use of weather modification techniques for the purposes of inducing damage or destruction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Modification_Convention. And this was drafted adnd signed in 1977-1978. Even in the 70's they were aware of weather modification, so imagine what they can do now, 40 years later. HAARP is said to be studying and experimenting with weather modification. I have seen videos demonstrating how HAARP can manipulate clouds, and cloud seeding has been successfully used for years. con't...

Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:58 AM on May. 30, 2011

• it's not wrong that you find her beliefs comical, cause frankly they are, however don't mock her for them especially while you're in her household. if you feel you can't listen to her responses about her beliefs without laughing, don't ask.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:52 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Is she the crazy rainbow lady? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:25 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Wrong to think her beliefs of a weather making machine comical- Nah I wouldn't say it's wrong I would say it's pretty normal.. Though I would be a little hesitant at openly laughing at those beliefs in front of her or saying anything too sarcastic in front of her that would register as making fun of them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:00 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Hmmmm I might suggest leaving it until another day as opposed to the family cookout, that is unless the weather is crappy and she makes a comment about it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:05 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Her comments are funny..How much nicer everything would be if we could control the weather.. I WANT ONE OF THOSE.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Here is one http://www.universetoday.com/16728/the-chinese-weather-manipulation-missile-olympics/
    It's called cloud seeding. See? She isn't crazy or a conspiracy theorist. It IS possible.
    JenW777

Answer by JenW777 at 11:17 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Is she a conspiracy theorist? I feel bad for people like that because they spend so much time agonizing over things instead of enjoying life. Anyway, you are not wrong for finding it funny, and you are nice to entertain her thoughts and talking to her. Just try not to burst out laughing. Also, if she's certain about her beliefs don't try to reason with her. You can't reason with someone that's unreasonable. In my DH's country some people, many people believe that city buildings are harmful to their health. Not the dust from the construction, but the actual buildings.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 12:17 PM on May. 28, 2011

• OMG....the Rainbow Lady.... "something is oozing out of the ground .." OMG. It s funny but scary too because she is ....she needs help.I wonder if she has family? Ot maybe she is all by herself ,with dementia?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:43 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would not confront her because it sounds like she could have a mental disorder like Schizophrenia. What you are describing sounds like symptoms of Schizophrenia.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on May. 28, 2011