Do you think Jenny McCarthy is full of crap or she is right when it comes to autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I find it interesting that there are literally millions of mothers of autistic children who have spent years researching and trying everything they come across in hopes it will work. Some have had the same results she has, some have had partial success, some have had none. They are all held up as strong women and strong mothers. When someone who is also the mother of a diagnosed child does the same thing, but also happens to be famous, she's an idiot or a bitch, or both. Funny how that works. Why is it nobody goes around insulting the "normal" mothers to their faces the way they have no problem saying it about her?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I think she's full of crap. Not only do I have a son withautism, but I used to work as a behavior therapist with autistic children. I have worked with children who have been on the same 'treatment' that her son has and I have NEVER seen it work. I have talked to other therapist and they all say the same thing. I believe that her son was misdiagnosed and that is why she got such wonderful "results".

I think it is such a shame that she give parents such false hope when unless their children have also been misdiagnosed, they will not get the same results.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:20 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I don't give a rat's ass if she is famous. There are many people with children who have autism that are also famous. Dan Marino, Holly Robinson Pete, and Toni Braxton are just to name a few. Many of these people have foundations to support help for autism. My problem with Jenny McCarthy is SHE decided (and this is a quote) "I knew I was going to be the voice of the families when this happened," she says. "Because I had the platform. In my head, something said, 'You can get booked on talk shows.'
    She is NOT my voice, nor is she the voice of most parents dealing with this. There is much speculation among experts who have examined the data on her son that Evan was NOT autistic, but had another disorder that is commonly diagnosed as autism. In addition, many of her "treatments" are risky and have been known to cause death in children. I have no doubt that she loves her son (cont)
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 PM on May. 28, 2011

• As far as HER son,I believe he was misdiagnosed with a severe allergy that was alleviated with diet and drugs
    As far as autism being cured,she's full of crap

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:55 AM on May. 28, 2011

• but what she doesn't seem to realize is that just because you are shouting the loudest, it doesn't mean you are right.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:41 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Hey frogdawg, please read what is written. None of US said he didn't have autism. We are posting what PROFESSIONALS have said. Articles on her son possibly not having autism have been in magazines and journals such as Time and Neurology Today. I am not diagnosing anyone. I never said I was an expert. I am stating what I have READ. And guess what? You won't get phone calls from the school about my child. The moment he starts spinning, rocking, flapping and jumping up and down anyone within sight of him knows. In addition, as Ms. McCarthy has used her son as a shining example of 'recovery' she has allowed many professionals to examine her records.
    As many of us who deal with it 24/7 do disagree with Ms. McCarthy and many of us (an entire support group where I am from anyway) feel she has done more harm than good, I think we have the right to say that we think she is full of crap without having to get a lecture from you
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:27 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I don't even know what she says. Who the hell cares about what Jenny McCarthy thinks anyways, lol?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:35 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Full of it!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:56 AM on May. 28, 2011

• She is full of crap. Autism cannot be "cured".
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:56 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Well, Jenny McCarthy is NOT a "valid source",that's for sure.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:25 PM on May. 28, 2011