Potty Training Advice? Anyone?!

My daughter will be two and a half years old in a few days, and she is no closer to being potty trained than she was a one and a half years. It all looked so promising last year, but a week in she stood up too soon and peed on the floor. She was mortified, and ever since she refuses to pee without a diaper or pull-ups on. I finally had to give up for a while, because she became absolutely terrified every time I sat her on her little potty. I don't mean a simple tantrum because she didn't want to stop playing to potty. No, she screams with tears streaming and actually looks SCARED about the prospect of peeing without the safety of a diaper. She is big for her age, and no longer fits the highest diaper size, which is another issue. HELP!

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 12:58 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds to me like you're just going to have to back off and wait until she's over her fear. Pampers DOES make a size 7 diaper, but they're hard to find. We found ours at a Target in a snobish part of town. Your other option is to switch to the Good Nites brand. It is for older kids who still wet the bed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:12 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I am certainly not one who thinks every child should be potty trained by age X, and she will be homeschooled and doesn't go to daycare, so none of those things are issues here. I am just afraid that if I don't work with her and this fear now, it will only get worse later.
    KarmicChild

Comment by KarmicChild (original poster) at 1:18 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I agree with Rosehawk, sounds like you need to just back off for now and wait until she's ready again. No need to push the issue, could just do more harm than good.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 9:31 PM on May. 28, 2011

• you could also take her to the store to pick out some big girl panties to see if that gets her excited about the prospect of using the big girl potty again?
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 9:34 PM on May. 28, 2011