question about thrush....

My baby has thrush, i just started to see side effects on myself to make me think that i have it as well... He is 3 weeks old, i was breastfeeding for the 1st week and everything was great. but recently my milk production has seemed to stop. my boobs feel empty, but when i take a hot shower milk still comes out with out squeezing... im a little confused.. has anyone ever had issues with milk production?? what should i do to make more come in, is it even possible to make more once it stops?? could thrush be a factor for the decrease of milk?? please help!!

Gavinsmommy1114

Asked by Gavinsmommy1114 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thrush shouldn't have anything to do with it. My son had it bad. if it gets much worse talk to his doc and they can give you something for it. But before feedings you should make sure that you clean your boobs well, and then as soon as he is done feeding clean them again. For the producing thing I would use a heating pad if I was having trouble, which didn't happen offten with me... ALSO try calling your WIC office, even if you don't receive WIC they will still help you with breast feeding problems!
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• ALSO sorry make sure if you do use any bottles that you wash them in hot hot water. Or boil them. I breast fed from a bottle. :( We had latching issues.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Do you think your production is lower just because you don't feel full? Or is he acting hungry all of the time? I have found your breasts will adjust and not feel full as time goes on... they stretch or something. So when you might have been in pain before with 3 oz in them, now it might take 5 oz to feel uncomfortable.
    If it is getting low... just feed and pump as often as possible to get the milk supply back.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• First, you need to go to the doctor and get some antibiotics for both you and you baby. Thrush is a fungal infections that can bleed and make it uncomfortable for your baby to eat. It maybe why your breast doesn't seem to produce enough milk...you baby may not be eating enough because of the problem. Most likely, once the thrush is cleared your breastfeeding problems will go away as well. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Your breasts feeling empty is not a sign of a production problem...only the dipe count matters. Make sure you nurse on demand, as long as baby wants and as often as baby wants.

There's info on kellymom.com on thrush to help you.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I also have had the same thing happen with both the thrush an the filling of being empty. My breast aren't full b/c he's feeding often enough that my breast aren't over producing milk. WHich can be a good thing. Engourged breasts are painful an tight.
    Thrush often can also come from a yeast infection from your breast or one you might of had before he was born that wasn't treated soon enough. It is very uncomfortable for both! My boobs fill like ants are running across them and they begin to itch all over after or during nursing. That was the first sign of a problem.

bandit85

Answer by bandit85 at 12:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2008