Just need some standard, good advice....

My husband and I have been discussing having another child. It was a big surprise when I became pregnant with our first (and only) child, because medications I took as a child left permanent hormonal damage (my mother had the same issue). We really want another child, but do not want to jump right into fertility treatments and doctors. So, I guess my basic questions are:

1 How do I know when I am ovulating?

2 Are there any natural, "at-home" ways to boost one's fertility?

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 1:09 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I would look into charting. If you have regular cycles, it is fairly easy to predict about when you are ovulating, as it is typically 14 days BEFORE the first day of your period. So for me, I have 31 day cycles (very regular), and I know that on about day 17 of my cycle, I will ovulate. In addition, I pay attention to my own physical cues. I am hungrier and hornier (to put it crudely LOL). Nature is smart...we have our own little "heat" to fool us in to reproducing :)

If you are uncomfortable trusting that, you can try using ovulation predicting tests, which you use like a pregnancy test, to test for your LH surge (the hormone that triggers you to ovulate). When you get your first positive ovulation test, it means that your surge is present and you will ovulate within about 24 hours.

Best of luck!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:43 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I absolutely agree with previous poster. There are other sites like www.fertilityfriend.com or www.mymonthlycycles.com that can help you track stuff. You can use OPKs, but be sure to follow the directions...a faint 2nd line does NOT mean positive, and you don't use first morning urine.
    They also make a new "fertility test" that you pee on on CD 3. I can't remember what it tests for. But, it's found with the HPTs and OPKs. Yes, there are natural ways to boost your fertility, but like modern meds, it helps to know what the problem is, so you know what, exactly, to do. :)
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 2:55 PM on May. 28, 2011