Brush his teeth?

My 8 month old son just got his first tooth. Do I have to brush it??

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 11:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think they make special toothpaste and brushes for that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You should definitely brush it, however you don't have to use a toothbrush or anything. I use a clean washcloth and wipe my sons teeth front and back at least once a day. Try to do it before he goes to bed to prevent any formula/breastmilk from staying in his mouth and causing tooth decay.
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If you want him to keep healthy teeth! Also know that brushing the gums is very healthy as well. My son is 2 now, and he won't let me brush his teeth for him, so I bought an electric one, definitely best 4 dollars i have ever spent.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes. If you use toothpaste (you don't have to) make sure you get the floride-free kind that is designed for babies. It is safe to swallow, while adult and kid toothpaste is not safe. It's good practice to get a baby toothbrush just so that he's used to it, but you can do it with a washcloth or piece of gauze. I use a finger brush to massage my baby's gums, and we'll switch to the baby toothbrush when his first tooth comes in.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes,
    You don't need toothpaste or even a toothbrush. You can use a simple washcloth. If you do get a toothbrush, make sure you get a soft baby one. And if you get toothpaste, make sure you get toddler/baby toothpaste with no flouride.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes, they get dirty too. there are these finger brushes that you put on your finger that I found was easy for me to use on my son.
    fallenangel7386

Answer by fallenangel7386 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2008