How do I teach him to hold his own bottle?

My son is 8 months old almost. Do I have to teach him how to hold is own bottle or is that something he learns on his own? And at what age should he be doing this? And if I do have to teach him, how do I go about doing that?

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 11:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine started about 4 mo. i got these bottle that were only like 4 oz. so it was small enough and even got some that had handles on them and they start figuring it out. it does take a couple of days of readjusting them but it's worth it!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• put his hands up on the bottle and let go he'll support it, mine knew how by that age but every baby is different, also put his hands on it and maybe support with a pillow or something.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• He'll only learn if you make him. So next time he wants to eat, show him that he can be independent by holding his own bottle. He'll be upset at first of course but after a while he'll probably show you that he can! You can even buy the bottle with handles on them but either way he will be able to learn with or w/o the handles.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My son started doing it today at almost 5 months. We sat him in his high chair and placed a small bottle in front of him then placed his hands around it. He kept trying to grab it and trying to get it. We'd try again. Then finally he picked up and took a sip. To top it off he smiled when he did. Then we stopped for today so it wouldn't be too much on him. We plan on showing him this every day.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's really sad and kind of pathetic when parents can't even sit to feed their infants themselves. Such an important bonding experience is lost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• actually I CAN sit and feed him myself anonymous. I do it all the time so don't even try to pull that. Why is it that some mom's come on this site just to bash other mom's????? Seriously, GET A LIFE.
    MandyAshley

Answer by MandyAshley at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• my ds learned on his own.. hes almost 8 months? try helping him. um.. i would suggest.... no bottle when baby is laying down or going to sleep..bad for his teeth and could cause ear infection if milk gets into his ears..
    Sexy.mama

Answer by Sexy.mama at 12:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• He'll learn to do it when he is ready. No need to rush and no need to worry. When they start holding their own utensils, they start making more messes...this is something you really want to delay! **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I taught all of mine by holding their hands on the bottle, eventually they start holding it on their own :-)

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I WAS IN NO BIG HURRY FOR MY DAUGHTER TO HOLD HER OWN BOTTLE (I DON'T WANT HER GROWING UP) AND I KNOW Y A DON'T WANT HIM GROWING UP. THEY GROW SO FAST!!!! UGHHHHH- WHERE DOES TIME GO LADIES????
    ON ANY RATE- I AGREE WITH THE OTHER MOMMIES. JUST KEEP HELPING HIM BY HOLDING HIS HANDS THERE. HE'LL GET IT.
    AND BY THE WAY ANON. YOUR SO RUDE. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW SHE FEELS ABOUT WANTING HER SON TO HOLD HIS BOTTLE.... IT'S NOT THAT YOU DON'T WANNA HOLD THEIR BOTTLE & FEED EM, BUT THEY HAVE TO LEARN SOMETIME. MY DAUGHTER TOOK WHAT I THOUGHT WAS FOREVER TO EAT TOO. I DIDN'T MIND BUT I KNEW IT'D BE EASIER FOR HER TO HOLD THE BOTTLE.
    alinzasmommy

Answer by alinzasmommy at 10:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2008