2011 is on track to be the worst year for measles cases in more than a decade.

Although the Centers for Disease Control declared the highly infectious and potentially fatal disease “eliminated” from the US in the early 2000s, it continues to spread, with the highest number of cases this early in the year since 1996, the CDC reported this week.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/measles-outbreak-how-to-protect-yourself

....Almost all of the cases were in people who hadn't been vaccinated.

Thanks a lot non-vax'ers!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My point is that I don't believe that the people getting sick are the ones not vaccinated. But the ones who had contacted with the sick person. Usually the sick person is a person who had recently entered the country from abroad.

______ The article states: 90% of the current cases were “imported” into the US by travelers who visited countries with measles outbreaks, then brought the infection home, sometimes spreading the virus to other people. Almost all of the cases were in people who hadn’t been vaccinated.

So, you are partially correct--it was travelers, but apparently there were unvaccinated travelers who visited another country and contracted the disease and then brought it home to the US.

In addition, even if a gene mutates, usually the original vaccine will offer some protection.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:44 PM on May. 28, 2011

• OMG, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Get over yourself ... hardly an epidemic. And if YOU are vaccinated, dumb ass, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, right? Isn't that the logic for getting the vaccine in the first place ... so you're protected?
    _________
    Again, another person hiding behind the Anon feature to attack an OP. If you are going to attack, at least don't be a coward. Stand by your words.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:37 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I'm not worried. My kids are safe.

I made an educated decision to vaccinate after weighing all the factors.  I decided I'd rather risk the slight chance of a bad reaction to the death of my children from disease.  Boy, would I feel guilty if THAT happened!! 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:09 PM on May. 28, 2011

• This is not a true statement .... when an organism mutates, it requires a whole new vaccine ... this why there are new flu vaccines every year
    ________
    There is a difference between different strains of flu and a mutated gene. It's like the common cold has different strains. Not all the different flu strains are mutations. Some are just different. THIS is why they have different flu vaccines.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:56 PM on May. 28, 2011

• http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/measles/default.htm

This is anther source.

My family and my parents and my kids and grandkids are all vaccinated and healthy. I would hate to see another Polio epidemic or Whooping Cough ....any of those deadly diseases spread . Those of you who are too young and don't know about polio first hand have no idea how valuable the Polio vaccine is. It saves millions of lives. And theMMR.

But...it is your choice to refuse to allow vaccines ....and jeopardize the lives of your children.

Good luck.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:00 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I was vaccinated for measles. Lol ~ darn shot GAVE me the measles. I am fully capable of understanding that a few children actually will die from measles, but the vast majority of children will run a fever, itch all over, and probably make their parents nuts for a few days.

Pertusis I worry a bit more about. Small pox is a terrifying disease imo. I feel the same about diphtheria and polio. I can actually understand vaccing for those ~ although without the vaccines some people wouldn't be so concerned with the overpopulation of humans (only partially sarcastic ... it's true after all).

Chicken pox ... now THERE is cash cow for the drug companies.

I'm sorry OP, but I've seen literally hundreds of kids with measles and not one died. No one suffered unduly. Vaccing for measles is more for convenience and profit than for any real danger. So, even though I and my kids/grandkids are vacced, you're welcome :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:34 PM on May. 28, 2011

• The problem with vaccines is that sometimes they will not be effective on viruses that had mutated. And this is coming from a person who doesn't have any medical background whatsoever.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:32 PM on May. 28, 2011

• layh4107 ... how guilty would feel if a vaccine CAUSED the death of your child? Just saying ... it happens
    ___________
    It is a small risk that I know can happen. Not vaccinating is a bigger risk.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:40 PM on May. 28, 2011

• So I guess if you're vax'd you don't need to worry about it, right? I mean, apparently non vaxers have all sorts of cooties, forgetting that MOST non vaxers TEND to lead healthy "crunchier" lifestyles over all.
    I have when vaxer's point fingers at non vaxers. Like they have a lab somewhere where they create disease then spread it around. If you're that convinced that vaccinating your kid will keep them healthy, then you have no worries
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 2:47 PM on May. 28, 2011

• although without the vaccines some people wouldn't be so concerned with the overpopulation of humans (only partially sarcastic ... it's true after all).

LOL! I was thinking about this about the other day ... in fact, I was noting that the same people crying about overpopulation are the same ones saying that health care is a right. I guess I figure that if overpopulation is such a problem, why not let natural selection do its job. (and I'm only half kidding about natural selection).
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:05 PM on May. 28, 2011