When i was a kid....(3yrs-5yrs)

i used to go out into the back yard and eat the dirt out of the dirt pile by the kitchen window....my dad would yell at me i would look at him and lick the dirt again he would come out and get me after i did that twice and give me water "instant mud pie" he said the other day when he was telling me the story again LOL

and iv always wondered why i would lick the dirt when i was a kid...i have tried looking up why kids do it but i really cant find anything....and even though i did it when i was a kid im terrified my sons gonna do it when he's able to go out in the yard by himself

sorry if its in the wrong section i don't know where to put it

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know eating or craving strange things can be a sign of iron problems....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:40 PM on May. 28, 2011

• lol that's the joys of being a kid..ooooh the curiosity!! we ate boogers, ear wax, and our own scabs when we kids. GROSS!!!! but, ya know when we kids we were like, "hmm...i wonder what this tastes like?" ha ha ha! and i'm sorry..but if a parent says STOP we're gunna keep doing it...like eating boogers! lmao
    this was cute!
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 2:42 PM on May. 28, 2011

• lol well i don't really have to worry about that with myself now since i haven't done it since i was 5...but it still kinda freaks me out my son might do it lol if he does at least ill know he'll be as healthy as me though XD until i got pregnant i didnt go to the doctors from the time i was 6 lol
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 5:41 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My computer is slow right now & pages are taking a long time to load in or else I'd Google this for you myself, but the word that comes to my mind is "pica." Check it out & see if it applies to what you were doing. I am pretty sure it applies to eating clay, or sand (like from a sandbox or at the beach.) A lot of times that sand impulse with babies is about the texture, or just a way to really "experience" the new environment, but when the behavior is a consistent compulsion (that persists for a minimum period of time), I think the pica term applies. (as it is likely a craving)

I remember that it sometimes comes up in pregnancy--a craving to eat non-foods or non-nutritive substances (and yes, it would indicate a mineral deficiency. Craving clay is a common example of pica in pregnancy, I think?)

lol @ eating dirt + the drink of water = "instant mud pie!"
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:42 PM on May. 28, 2011

• my thing, all the way through grade school, was eating paper.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011