So now Im an Irresponsible parent... Good Grief!!

My mother says that I am irresponsible because I have my three year old (turning 4 in October) in a booster seat... is THIS irresponsible to you? He is of weight.. maybe not age, am I a bad mother???

Is she right? Should I take him out of a booster and back into a normal car seat??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's based on height, I think. So, if he is tall enough for a booster, I would not worry about what she said.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:33 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My personal opinion is that you should put him back in the car seat. There are a few reasons for this. 1) You might be breaking the law. I honestly thought that most states had a law to keep children in car seats until at least the age of 4. 2) He might be of weight, but is he of height? Where the seat belt lands on the shoulder is VERY important. 3) A car seat is safer.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:35 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My mom moved my daughter to a booster seat months ago. I don't like it. I told her so. But, she did research, and my dd is tall enough and of weight requirements. She even took it too a fire station and had it checked by them, and passed. You should do the same, if you have any concerns at all.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 1:45 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Most state laws say that he must be of age AND weight. Not just one or the other.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 1:54 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Check with your local police department on carseat rules and regulations.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:03 PM on May. 28, 2011

• check with your local officials. but here in Idaho I'm pretty sure that they have to meet age, height and weight. Its not just about how big their are, but also about the development of their body.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:19 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Well, I wouldn't have a three year old in a booster, but I don't think it makes you a 'bad' mother. Mine are 4 and 2 and still rear facing, because we have carseats that accommodate them. We want to rear face until they are too big for it, then we will harness until they are too big for their harness seats. After that we may be able to go straight to a regular seat belt. I want my kids as safe as possible, and this works for us.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:35 PM on May. 28, 2011

• It depends on the age, weight and height of the child. My oldest was BIG and we had him in a booster at that age, but we used whats called "sure fit" that is used with the seat belt so it was sitting comfortably and where it should. Now my daughter was/is a pixie, she was in a car seat till kindergarten but hated it so we put her in a booster with the sure fit, worked just fine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:39 PM on May. 28, 2011

• i took a course before we were discharged from the hospital. it was mandatory... but they are to be in a car seat for a while.. rear facing till almost 5!! which is almost impossible cause my son is tall... hes in a booster and has been since he was 5. Look it up online, height and weight are a factor and its safer to have them sitting in the middle if possible do to side collision. My sister has a 17 month old and I want to shoot her cause she has him in a BOOSTER cause he likes to see.. well i think its safety first.. but she wont listen.. but yeah just look into it.. the class said the rules have changed so much and so many times its not even funny. gl
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 2:53 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would check with the police or fire station to see what the car seat laws/requirements are in your area.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:05 PM on May. 28, 2011