Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14 Bumps

Can I report my own mother to CPS?

My sisters and brother (aged 10, 9 and 7) rang me today and were crying as my mother was "refusing to make them any food" and they were so hungry and couldn't find anything in the cupboards. I immediately jumped in the car and went round, grabbed them, and as it was so late and they were so hungry I took them out for dinner. While there I quickly confronted my mother and asked what she was playing at, she told me she was tired and it's not always her responsibility. I am DISGUSTED, growing up I was given a LOT of repsonsibility even as a young child and yet she's neglecting the children that I practically left in her care when I got married. She's also a fan of spanking, hard spanking, and turns a blind eye whenever my father gets unbearably angry and awful, I worry every night for them and I can't take it anymore. I would be so happy to take them but I know I would have to fight my mother tooth and nail for them. I'm 21 and have a daughter who is 1 but my husband is 28 and is financially stable and we have the room. It's not impractical for us to have them but my mother would kill me if I suggested it. Do I have grounds to call CPS? I have documented evidence of what she's done in the form of letters, texts, answer phone messages and much more. She is not a nice woman to live with and is very unfair, I told my grandmother who is a kind woman but does not knowt he extent and she told me that CPS were unlikely to believe someone who sounds as if they're just trying to get back at their mother. Would I get custody of them? I live a long way from them and find I am constantly rushing to their aid.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (25)
  • you can call they have to look in to it

    Answer by mamawilbur at 1:39 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • Yeah, if you have evidence, bust her ass. Don't wait until these kids run away or worse. If CPS takes them away, they offer kids to family first before foster care.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:39 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • wow this is sad. I hope you can come to some kind of agreement. Maybe come at your mom like you want to spend more time with your bro and sis's and keep them around you more to see how this goes instead of suggesting to take them right away because u say she will not agree. Just tell her mom i know ur tired so im going to keep them with me to give you a break and little by little they will be with your more and you never know, your mom may suggest it before you do.

    Answer by Esam at 1:48 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • All you can do is try. Good luck.

    Answer by meooma at 1:54 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • Yes, you can call CPS but she may turn it on you. Keep your log on the ongoing problems. If school's not out yet, talk to the school counselor. A good school counselor can be a great help in court. They are mandatory reporters & if you show her all your documentation, she will have to call CPS & you will be off the hook. The other poster's idea to start "giving her a break & keep them with you", is a great idea. With summer here, you may be able to keep them all summer. Then while you have them, get them into counseling to help them deal with her. Their counselor will also be a great asset in a custody dispute. If you can get them, enroll them in summer activities in your town, as an excuse to keep them there. "OH, they have Vacation Bible School next week, I hope you don't mind them staying for it." Creativity can make her think she's on vacation. Don't go huge like Disney World. She may get jealous. Good luck & God bless.

    Answer by 1bionicgranny at 2:13 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • I definitely think you have a chance at getting custody. Usually foster care is a last resort if there aren't any able or willing family members to take the kids. Refusing to feed them, physcially hitting them (not just average spanking) is considered abuse. If you have proof, its definitely worth a shot. Your brothers and sisters are lucky to have you in their lives. Good luck!

    Answer by Ash9724 at 2:22 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • definitely. call NOW. they need you

    Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:31 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • yes, by law that's neglect. (leaving the children without food). I give you lots of credit for being their for your siblings, best of luck to you and them.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:31 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • yes it's hard to do but do it those kids need better. Do it for the sake of your siblings

    Answer by SamJ321 at 2:33 PM on May. 28, 2011

  • CALL THEM! Who cares if she "kills" you if you dont do anything about it your siblings will be the one's dead!

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:37 PM on May. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.