For those who didn't go for the epidural and had a long painful labor...

With my first, I thought I could do it w/o da epidural but when I was having painful contractions n only 1 cm dilated I caved. This time I'm taking the brAdley method classes n hoping to learn to relax n SO b mr prepared as to how to help me (relax). Ques. How did u redirect ur focus so it wasn't all about the pain. Btw: even w da epidural, I was in labor another 12 hrs

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:40 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• what's the bradley method?
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:41 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I took Bradley classes with my first. I really did enjoy the classes, but I don't think they did much to deal with the pain. I was in labor with him for 41 hours total. The pain really wasn't that bad, but I couldn't relax enough to make any progress, so after 36 hours when I was still stuck at 4 cm, I went ahead and got the epidural to relax. It worked, and I only labored another 5 hours and had him vaginally. The second time around, I didn't do any of the Bradley things, and the outcome was pretty much the same. I got the epidural at 4 cm, after 35 hours this time, and delivered an hour after that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:49 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I found the Bradley method to be a little to much about getting into this quiet place. I was not quiet in my labours. The best thing for me was to find my rhythm and wick with it. I rocked back and forth for hours. I also leaned heavily on the support my of husband and used the shower for pain management. Get into your space and do you best to stay there...think about the pain as waves, and each one is closer to your beautiful baby!
    Good luck.
    PS..look up The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin..it's a great book for people who want a natural labour.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:49 PM on May. 28, 2011

• tobys.mommy has a good point about what comes naturally to different people in labor. For me, I was the opposite. I wanted quiet. I don't think I said much of anything during the times I was in labor. It felt like too much work. I think that's why I did enjoy the Bradley method, even if it didn't help much with the pain. It did make me feel calm. If that doesn't feel right for someone during labor, they won't get anything out of it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:53 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Your awareness of the process helps to eliminate fears and your pain.
    Being supported by those who can help you find your intuitive groove is important.
    (Staff may prefer you do X or Y for their convenience and this can disrupt your focus.)
    Remain in an environment where you can feel really comfortable. With those who want you to do whatEVER you want.

You will be free to move, walk, rock, poop, moan, anything that seems to Feel Best in the moment.
    If reading and classes help you to get to this place, great!

I encourage you consider a labor doula for all sorts of different kinds of help while in labor, and through it all!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:58 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I did both.. my first I had the epidural for after they broke my water.. my second my water broke naturally around noon, and I went in at 4 because my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart. WHne I got there the contractions were unbearably painful so I told them at this point I wasn't ready for an epidural (I was 4 cm's at that point). Around 7pm I buzzed the nurse because it started to really get painful, but was still only at 4 cms.. she called the guy (I guess he went home, jerk! lol) and asked him to come back in.. but within the half hour things got extremely painful.. by 7:30 I'd moved only to 5 cms. when the nurse checked me.. 5 minutes later I buzzed her back and to tell her it was time to push.. (she didn't believe me, that I'd gone from 5-10 in a matter of 5 minutes since I was taking forever to dilate further earlier. So I literally had to hold until the doctor got there.. which was 5 or 6 buzzes later!! (10 mins)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:37 PM on May. 28, 2011

• finally the doctor showed up, and I yelled to her, you better get your ass over here to catch this baby because I'm not waiting a second longer to push her out!!!.. she literally just got her gloves on and alreayd the babies head was coming out.

anyways.. If I could change things I would have gotten the epidural rather than wait. It still hurt with my first but not NEARLY as bad as it did with my second.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:38 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I had the epidural with my first and i will be trying to skip it with #2. I had a horrible reaction and my blood pressure crashed & was given another drug to counteract the epidural, i was still in alot of pain with the epidural, so i figure wth might as well tough it out., I dont think there is a class to help you with something you cant mimick..
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:47 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I had the epideral on both my pregnancies and glad I did...the first time I was 11 hrs. In labor and the second it was only 5 hrs.
    I just meditated with God and when it came down to squeezing my babies out I just concentrated. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:19 PM on May. 28, 2011

• y did people who got the epidural answer the question?? did they not read the title?? hmmm.
    Vero0724

Comment by Vero0724 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on May. 28, 2011