Is Your House In Both Your Names?

I'm getting married to a man who ownes his own house and it's in his name only. My dad said he should put my name on it too because if he were to ever die, it would make things less complicated. I know my man trusts me completely but he has been burned before. Should I ask or expect him to put my name on the house too or not? He's been married before and the house has always been in his name only.

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 1:54 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, but we've been married since forever, so we bought our houses together. I don't know what I would do in your situation, or your husband's situation. I mean, if I owned my own home and was divorced, I might be hesitant to add anyone on my house in the future.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:55 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Yeah, we also bought our home together. If I were you, I think maybe after we'd been married a little while, I might approach it with him as, "Honey, do you think it would be wise to put my name on the house also?" Just feel him out. I do think it's a good idea, but I also can see why it might make him nervous for you to bring it up.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:57 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I understand why he might be hesitant. I do pay half the mortgage though!
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 1:58 PM on May. 28, 2011

• if he dies u get everything in his name.. even if its not in yours.. ur WIFE its the law
    Anonymous

• Every house we have ever owned has been purchased together so, yes, the house is in both our names. I would expect him to put the house in both our names if I were you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:00 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Yes it is as we bought the house together.

My ex was 'burned before' and refused to put the house in my name. He discovered that it didn't protect him in our divorce, I was kind and didn't make him sell it, nor did I make him give me half the equity in the house, but I could have. Being 'burned before' wouldn't have protected him if i wanted to be a bitch.

But your dad is right. If something were to happen to him, you would be homeless unless he left it to you in a will, but then you would have to pay the death tax on it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:00 PM on May. 28, 2011

•  Yes, listen to your fathers very smart advice. It does not mean you don't trust your husband, it's just you need to look out for yourself.  I wonder why your husband only wants his name on the house?

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:00 PM on May. 28, 2011

_________
    Not necessarily. You would get his debt, but the bank would be able to take the house if you are not on the mortgage or the deed.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:02 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I think it's because it's an old house and he has lived in it since he was born. He loves it and I think he would freaking die if he had to lose it. It could be my fault because I told him that once we get married, if we were ever to get divorced I would take him to the cleaners and suck his ass dry. I would make what his exes did to him look nice!
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 2:03 PM on May. 28, 2011

• If he refused to put you on the house. If you divorce you get nothing from the house. Sense he bought it before you married. As for him dieing, I think you get the house. Not sure.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on May. 28, 2011