Do you think...

A 10 year old should be doing their own laundry?

kyuteangl88

Asked by kyuteangl88 at 2:52 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think they are perfectly capable of at least helping with it. At 10 I knew how to do a load of laundry.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:54 PM on May. 28, 2011

• As soon as I was tall enough to reach the buttons I was doing my own laundry. I think it teaches responsibility. And the sooner they start learning the better they can take care of their things when they start wanting more expensive clothing. Not to spank my own ass or anything, but I am the queen of laundry :)
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 3:09 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one! My SO got irritated with me when I told him his son needs to start doing his own laundry, but with 5 people in the house and almost 6, I feel like he needs to be taking on more responsibilities!
    kyuteangl88

Comment by kyuteangl88 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Nope. I think a 10 yr old should be going to school, getting good grades, playing sports, and being a kid.

Answer by gemgem at 3:27 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I agree with you. My mum did her and her ex's laundry, along with towels and whatnot, and I did my own. Because my mum did so much more laundry than I did she only gave me one day to do my laundry, and if I didn't to it on that day I was sol, unless I did her laundry for the day and did mine afterwards. My laundry day, to this day (and I have my own house with a w&d), is Sunday.

My mum also would not check on my laundry or help unless I asked for it. If I forgot about my clothes over night and they stunk in the morning, I would learn not to do that eventually.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 3:28 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I was doing mine at 7
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:46 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Why does a ten year old need to do their own laundry? They have the rest of thier lives to do laundry. If you are too lazy to do your ten year old's laundry then maybe you shouldn't have had kids. If you are too lazy to do your step child's laundry have the dad do it. I mean is it really that difficult to toss his laundry in with yours?
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:28 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I think they need to learn responsibilities or they never will. They dont have to do it all the time just enough to know how to use the washer and dryer.
    AmberNicoley

Answer by AmberNicoley at 5:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think a kid with something RESPONSIBLE to do is a kid that won't find trouble to get into. I did laundry and so did my husband. My oldest helps with the laundry and both boys have chores.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:54 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think she should be taught to do everybodys' laundry. Not just her own. Not unless your picky or somethin.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011