Why do people complain about...........

Answering systems, food labels, store signs, etc. being in Spanish and blame it on the immigrants?

Businesses choose to offer services/directions/etc. in Spanish to appeal to a wider demographic. It is not required.

The Government does not REQUIRE that the Spanish instructions or signs etc. be offered by companies, or things like highway and street signs would be in Spanish as well.

When you call a government office, you can actually access services in a multitude of languages. Not just Spanish.

I just wish people wouldn't be so blind sometimes.

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband had an interesting comment the other day. I pointed out how we do not have an official language and to my surprise he said we should have one, or at least several. Because all legal documents have to be in the language of the person reviewing or receiving them by law. While we use English technically we have to make it available in any language, and many times do at the goverment's expense or local community expense. So his thought was that we have several set languages: English and Spanish amoung them. This way it settles the whole just speak English but also documents are set to just a few languages and not open to every single one of them out there. Signs, lables, and the like to follow suit in the languages of the land.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Exactly.

It really annoys me when people get upset about Spanish services/labels/etc. and blame it on the consumers who speak Spanish. Example: They didn't tell Betty Crocker that the cake directions HAD to be in Spanish. Betty Crocker put the Spanish directions on there so they could sell cake to Spanish speaking people.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I don't know, after living in Southern California and being passed up for a couple jobs because I DIDN'T speak Spanish, it's hard for me to think that way. Don't get me wrong - I don't think we should blame immigrants for a lot of the problems they do get blamed for. But in an area where the majority are a minority, it's really hard if you just speak English. I really don't know if it should be that way. But I think what bothered me most is when I got dirty looks from customers because I didn't speak Spanish. I was actually treated pretty unkind sometimes because I didn't speak it, and I thought that was incredibly unfair.
    melamommy24

Answer by melamommy24 at 2:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Sharon7772 Thank you! my mom baked me Betty Crocker cakes because the directions came in Spanish. She has been here since 56' and understands, reads (fluently) english but like many, is too embarrassed to try to speak it. OH AND MELAMOMMY24, don't feel bad, I am bi-lingual (english/spanish) and I was passed up because I didn't speak Vietnamese. We are all on the same boat! (please no pun intended). I believe in everyone trying to just co-habitate on the same street, in the same city, state etc. We all just want to get along!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have the problem that my ethnic backgrounds aren't given the option if they don't speak English. I'm Italian and Bulgariian...what numbers do I push. OH WAIT before my grandparents were allowed to enter the US in 1910, they HAD to be able to speak, write & understand some English. Sorry but being 2nd generation in this Country, I do have a problem with any immigrant who cannot speak English. If I go to Sweden, for example, do they have the same options immigrants have here...probably not!!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Thanks for this question. I'll say it once and I'll say it again. In some parts of this country, people have been here for generations upon generations upon generations upon generations have spoken 2 languages for as long. But, they speak spanish or chinese or whatever first because itis part of their culture. Yet an outsider might assume they are a clan of illegals. It blows my mind.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I don't care about that...what I care about is calling for information reguarding a bill or what not and getting someone on the phone that can HARDLY speak English. THAT bothers me!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• People in Europe speak more then one language ,they are more tolerant to the people from other countrys.
    They don't blame immigrants ,why should they.Immigrants are hard workers who want to make their life better.
    They have right to live there and when they are ready to be a citizen they need to learn the language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Waganma56;

The question wasn't about whether or not immigrants should speak English. It was about people that complain about things like signs in Walmart being in Spanish. The immigrants did not tell Walmart to make the signs in Spanish. Walmart wants to make more money by attracting Spanish speaking customers.

I just want the animosity to be directed where it belongs.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It doesn't bother me one bit to see signs or labels in Spanish (or any other language). I'm not going to blame anyone because that seems like a ridiculous and petty thing to be wasting my breath on.

I'm with ReneeK, though. I called the power company the other day, and spent 45 infuriating minutes on the phone with a man who couldn't speak English well enough to get his point across. If you're going to hire someone his is b-lingual, great! But at least make sure they can actually SPEAK both languages!

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2008