What are some fun things to do with kids?

What are some fun, free or nearly free things too do with kids? We don't have the money for amusement parks and the like and with 5 kids plus 2 grown ups cost of things quickly add up.

Also, are there any fun water things too do? The kids and I can't swim and we can't afford lessons. They want to go swimming, but I'm to afraid to take them.

Thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• You can to slip and slide so theyll get wet. You can also get some sprinklers for outdoor fun where they can get wet. You can play softball, tennis, raquetball, go to the park. draw, make your own chalk, paint, camp in the backyard and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 3:23 PM on May. 28, 2011

• So many!! You can build forts using chairs, boxes, tables, clothes pins, blankets and sheets...indoors and outdoors. Kids love cooking! Make smoothies or bake :) As for water, put them in their swimsuits or underwear, turn on the hose and let em' at it! Give them buckets or pans, anything around the house to fill up and dump on each other or just fill up with water. Play make-believe with them! Organize a treasure hunt in your backyard, make-up stories with them and write it down word for word...it will be so cute to look at later, draw pictures...all kinds of things! I grew up really poor, and these were things my mom did for/with us. I loved playing in the hose! And building forts. :) Have fun!!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 3:38 PM on May. 28, 2011

• sidewalk chalk, play doh, treasure hunts, sprinklers, picnic lunches, camp out, coloring contests, bake cookies or cupcakes, i have my girls clean their closets in the summer while home since a good time to do and keeps them busy, get a net and rackets for badminton, bubbles, squit guns, librarys, join a reading program, nature hikes, make bird feeders, make a bowling pin game with empy coke 2 liter bottles, make stepping stones, can also check place like michaels or family fun mags. or websites for good ideas, have them help with scrapbooking sheets.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:44 PM on May. 28, 2011