What is the best way to potty train a boy? And how do you know when to start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We are in the middle of potty training our ds who is 3. At 2 when he started showing signs of wanting to potty train we started. I sat him on the potty chair every time I'd check or change him, he did great for about 2 weeks, and then nothing. He would scream and cry and fight it. So I gave up for a few weeks, and tried again. Now he is telling us when he has to go, he is taking his pull up off, and even waking up at night to go. It is so much easier and les stressful. Let him chose when to go. Good luck!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:55 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Oh, also, for those who tell you to do the every 15 mins for 5 minutes, and he will have it down in a matter of days, has never met my son. We did that for a few days ( followed the rules about adjusting the times and everything) but after a weeks, he started throwing fits about going potty.... You just need to find what works for you and your son. We are teaching him to pee sitting, and then once he has that down, we will work on the standing and aiming...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:58 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Consistancy is the best tool. I train my autistic son. In one month we were able to do it.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 3:58 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My Son was fully (that means day AND night) trained in only 4 days before He was even 2 1/2 (He is nearly 4 now). He started wearing underwear on Day 1 and never saw a diaper again. On Day 2 of training, He started standing to pee AND stopped wetting at night. He used Pull-Ups a handful of times within a couple months after He was done training (for long trips, just in case), but never wet or soiled in them. We were consistent, had Him go to the potty every 30min (He had no issues with that), used a sticker chart/rewards, gave endless praise (but that's normal for everything He does!), and very patient. My Son did SO well and was definitely ready..I am so darn proud. Good luck!
    .MommieAJ.

Answer by .MommieAJ. at 5:16 PM on May. 28, 2011