Am I being overprotective by not giving my 15 month old a blanket at night?? I know he can turn over but I always think what if

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So what is covering him to keep him warm?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I think so... I would be worried about the "what if my child catches Pneumonia
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• um I agree with the other posters, my son is 16 months old and has always used a blanket, I would get up randomly in the night to check on him
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Have you tried a SIDS blacket? He needs to be warm..Look them up
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I think he is well over the age to be able to have a blanket. But don't worry about pneumonia LOL you can't get it that way... that or any other illness from being cold.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Your child will be fine with a blanket. He is old enough to get a sense of comfort and discomfort, and can adjust the blanket as he wants... My son has used a baby sized blanket since the day he was born- 13 months, still doing great. I'd say just don't give him an adult sized blanket or one with down (in case he's allergic). he'll be fine.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Here's a link to one. I have like 6 pairs of these...
    http://www.shop.com/Dreamsie_trade_Luxe_%28Long_Sleeve%29_-47151744-p!.shtml
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I think so, by 15 months they are able to move around enough and are aware enough to wake up or move if something is smothering them.
    staciashaf

Answer by staciashaf at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would have to say no because I didn't give my son one until he was 2 years old. I just cranked the heat last winter so he would be warm and I put a fan on in my room so I wouldn't sweat to death. But if I look back on it I think I let my fears get the best of me.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 12:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The chance of SIDS reduce after the child reaches 1 years old so you probably don't have a lot to worry about there. Just check on him periodically during the night. You gotta trust him. My son is about 19 months and he puts his own covers on him and he started pushing them away when he was a little over a year. Unless he is a special needs child that is still developing and learning at their own pace then you should be ok. As a parent, you don't be able to help you self check on him a couple times during the night.

And ladies, she is probably talking about LOOSE blankets. Pediatricians recommend that you don't put loose blankets in a crib for children under the age of one. Sheets that are tucked in under the mattress are what they recommend or usually babies that a swaddled don't have loose sheets. Just wanted to clear that up.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2008