Would you consider this to be rude?

you message someone you know they are there they don't answer you and then immediately after asking them the question they log off; how would this make you feel and would you consider it rude? this happens ever time I try to contact certain ones

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 4:37 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldnt think it was rude. Maybe they didnt get the message or your message came right when they had to get off.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:38 PM on May. 28, 2011

• NO.

Technology has really screwed up a lot of social interactions and has become a bit intrusive. If Im on the computer doing something that doesnt mean I OWE someone an immediate response.  You may know they are on the computer... but you really have no idea what they are doing, or what is going on in their home, or life.  They do not OWE you an immediate response and you dont know definitively why they logged off.

It was not rude in any way.

Anonymous

• I often have my Facebook chat open, or one of my other chat programs, but I am off wandering the internet in another tab and don't realize someone is trying to talk to me. I also tend to leave it open when I go to bed, so it looks like I'm there but I'm off sleeping. So, no, I wouldn't think it was rude. I would think they are like me, and like me, would respond eventually when they've realized that I attempted to chat with them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:56 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Maybe they were already in the process of logging off? I think if it became a habit or something I would start having a problem with it but not if it was a one time thing
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:38 PM on May. 28, 2011

• could have been closing the computer or just leaving. i wouldn't get mad
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:39 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would think that they either did not see the message, or they are busy and did not have time to message back.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:40 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I end up doing that to people, but I usually leave my IM on but not up and when I close it out I have no idea that someone messaged me. On purpose, yes, it's rude, but it's possible they didn't know.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:51 PM on May. 28, 2011

• People messave me but sonetimes ny im does not always work
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:19 PM on May. 28, 2011

• some people don't like to chat online. I know I can't stand it. So I always try to put myself on hide. If I forget I sometimes am quick to log off. I like to read FB statuses quick and go. And sometimes you have to run and you don't feel like responding because you have something you need to do. Sometimes you are on another tab not even paying attention to the chat one. And sometimes you do it because some people are just PESTS. And it seems every time you go online they seem to be there waiting to pounce and chat.

Anonymous

• sometimes after you log off, it still shows that you're online. and it doesn't show that you're off UNTIL someone msgs you. it's weird, but that's how it works. i've gotten back on facebook all the time and i have chat msgs that were sent a few minutes after i switched to a new site/clicked out of the internet browser, and i always feel bad lol. i wouldn't want them to think i was avoiding them, but at the same time, i didn't know.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 6:29 PM on May. 28, 2011