Is it legal to put old prescriptions in the trash?

Including old birth control pills and not putting them in coffee grounds or kitty litter or anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've been told by pharmacy's just to toss them in the trash. But what I do is I put the pills in a large bag pour a bunch of elmers glue in it. It ruins the pills and the glue will harden to dumbest diving pill poppers cant use them. I learned that from a hospice worker.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:44 PM on May. 28, 2011

• dumpster not dumbest
    mommy_of_two388

• It isn't illegal, but someone can come and take them out of your trash. I would worry less about throwing them out than flushing them. They used to recommend flushing your old scripts, but have found that since wastewater is recycled (eww), there is a high rate of drugs in your drinking water. I was flabbergasted when I read the article, but it costs too much to filter it enough to get the drugs out.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:45 PM on May. 28, 2011

• i think it would be better to recycle them at a local pharmacy that takes old medications in a lock box
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:45 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I know it's probably not good ethically, but just wondered if it was legal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:59 PM on May. 28, 2011

• eh idk I usually flush them
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 5:17 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Its fine to throw them in the trash!
    eustacejessica

Answer by eustacejessica at 5:34 PM on May. 28, 2011

• some pharmacies will dispose of them for you! In my town once a year the county will have a booth set up with a couple of cops that you can give your old scripts too and they dispose of them for you!
    eustacejessica

Answer by eustacejessica at 5:35 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Never flush medications. DEA always has a take back program. Like someone said, call the pharmacy and ask.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:29 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My doctor told me to NEVER flush medications because there were prescription drugs being found in the city water supply, things like prozac and birth control. He told me that the dump has a liner under it so the medications cannot seep back into the ground and get in to the water supply that way.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:58 PM on May. 28, 2011