Good way to keep dd in her room at "nap"time?

She is just 3 and has not napped consistently for a long time now. She still has a nap time and has never had a problem playing quietly. Now she is in a big bed and has slowly discovered that she can get out of bed during this time, and in the last few days has discovered that she can open the door and walk out.

I don't want to make it an issue where she will get in trouble if she doesn't stay in her room, but I need ideas about what to tell her to keep her in there. I know that kids have nap times at day care even if they don't sleep. I thought about giving her a timer (I'd have to get a quite one since the baby sleeps at this time too and dh works nights and is asleep too), or maybe sticker for days she stays in the whole time. Anyone have some ideas?

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 4:59 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• stay in there with her till she falls asleep. Read a book
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:45 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Buy one of those doorway gates and put it up. My daughter has used one of those since her toddler moved to his big boy bed. They put it up mainly for safety purposes, so there would be no chance he would get up and wander around at night while they were asleep. The one they have can be used and the door can still be closed. It just spring loads in the door jamb. I think that should work very well to keep her where you want her to stay.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:47 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Maybe put a radio in her room out of reach. Set the sleep timer to the time you want her to stay in. My radio will go 15,30,60 or 90 minutes then turn off. Tell her she can play play or read quietly while the radio is on and when it goes off she can come out. You can do the same with a CD.

You my also have a basket of books and toys used only at nap time. Also start her nap by cuddling with her while reading a favorite book. These things may help her look forward to nap time.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:04 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Both my kids stopped napping around 2 1/2... maybe she's done napping too?? In my son's preschool is they didn't sleep they have to lay on their cot and watch the movie of the day for "quiet time". If you are preparing her for preschool "naps" then maybe she could just have some quiet time in the same room your in - like sit in a chair and read or color.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2011