Anyone ever move to a different state with a toddler???

We are getting ready to make a move from Illinois to Texas because my husband is in the Army. I grew up here and have never lived anywhere else nor have I traveled much. Our son is only 2 1/2 and is very close to all of our family here. I am getting really scared about the move. And I am scared it will affect our son in a bad way. Im trying to stay positive and think of all the possibilities it will give him and us to get out of this small town. But I can't help but wonder if this will have a negative affect on him. Anyone have any advice or suggestions to make this process easier????? We plan to get skype, but a few like my grandma dont even have a computer, and my sister doesn't have the internet. So it makes it a little harder.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 5:00 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i moved last summer with my 3yr old. my husband is also in the army so we moved from ohio to texas. we were and still are very close to my family. my son seems to have adjusted well. he will be starting preschool soon. i talk to my family at least once a week. we do a video chat on the computer as well. we plan on going back to visit for a couple weeks this summer. since your son is still young, he should adjust fine to the move. where in tx are you moving to?
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 5:37 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Fort Hood. And thank you very much. I hope he does. This is just such a big change, I can't seem to stop worrying about everything. Where are you at?
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 9:38 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My kids are now 17 and 18, and we have moved a LOT with the military - including when they were toddlers. Honestly, there will be some rough patches with it, but overall, he's going to do fine :-) Kids take a lot of their emotional cues from their parents, so as long as you show him a positive attitude towards the move, then he's going to be ok. Talk it up to him in a positive way - about how it's an adventure (if he watches Dora, talk about how she goes on adventures, now he gets to have one...) When he talks about missing grandparents, etc - explain that he won't get to see them as much, but he will still get to see them, and they can talk on the phone and with skype (get a webcam - that helps). When you get there, look into play groups and stuff with the Army version of Fleet and Family Services.

If you present it as a fun adventure (for you and for him), then he will be ok :-)

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:55 AM on May. 29, 2011

• cont

There have been times it's been hard on my kids, and some duty stations have been harder than others (most of those when they were older), but overall, they've really enjoyed growing up as military kids, and they are very close to their grandparents - in a lot of ways, I think they're closer to them than their non military friends the same age, because they appreciate the time they have with them, and they've gotten to have adventures with that, too. (For example, when they each turned 10, they got to go spend several weeks in the summer with grandma and grandpa - just them :-) ).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:59 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Thank you so much. The adventure idea is definitely a good one. I have been talking to him about it, and I try to make it sound exciting. We have to get rid of our cat, he is getting to old to travel with us, so he is going to stay with my aunt and I told him I would get him a new baby kitty when we get there, and he is excited about that too. Our cat is fat and old, so he doesn't do much. Thank you for the positive suggestions.
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 10:16 PM on May. 29, 2011