Scumbag landlord: What can we do?

Our fridge broke in the house we are renting. The landlord replaced it, but with an old moldy fridge. This isn't the first time she's done something like this. We don't have the funds to move out and our lease doesn't end until Dec 31st. Is there anything we can do legally?

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 5:00 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Ok if she (landlord) works for a large co. then I suggest that you call her boss... if it's a co. there
    are ppl above her. File a complaint with them.
    Also if you have some where to put the frig do it and cover it and buy yourself yourself a newer one.
    Keep the receipt for your records and proof.
    When we rented this place our landlord said he wasn't supplying the appl's ... that was fine, I would rather
    have my own and know where I got them from and where I can have them repaired if needed.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:42 PM on May. 28, 2011

• really anon?? u wouldnt complain if the fridge is working.. MOLD IS BAD FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN.. why would u want FOOD of all things around MOLD
    Anonymous

• Dhec... ...... i dont know if ur dhec deals with mold but if they dont the should be able to give u a number to call. You can take the landlord to court and get ur deposit back to move out.  Mold is a health hazard.

Anonymous

• what is dhec? department of health?
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Have you talked to her about the issue with the new fridge and told her it is unacceptable! I would try calling dhec, or a local property management place, they should be able to give you alot of information on what the laws and regulations are!
    eustacejessica

Answer by eustacejessica at 5:32 PM on May. 28, 2011

• yes mam its the health department.
    Anonymous

• As a landlord, there is something you may not be considering. Maybe that's all she could afford. I charge just a tiny bit more than the mortgage for our place to keep it affordable for families. We struggle more financially than most people. So when my tenants called two months in a row and needed appliances replaced I had no idea where we were going to get the money to pay for it, especially after the house had been abandoned, some of my property stolen and then left trashed (after the previous tenant skipped out on his last month's rent, which meant it was totally on me to have it cleaned up).

Chances are that this landlord is doing the best she can for you. Cut her some slack and clean out the fridge. Getting rid of mold isn't that hard.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:52 PM on May. 28, 2011

• It is a large company covering 3 states, but she manages all properties in the west part of Phoenix. The house was clean and nice when we came to look at it, but a month later when we moved in, the house was filthy and there was dog hair all over the house and dog poop all over the backyard. How hard would it have been to clean it prior to use moving in, if it was able to be cleaned for us to view it? Three of the door handles literally fell right off after a month and she didn't send anyone to fix them for almost a month, now the fridge broke and it took a week to get a new one and a moldy one at that. These are only a few things that have happened in just 5 months. It seems like something new every month. It is a large company, so I know there is more that they can do. I have had wonderful landlords and my Dad owns 3 homes that he rents and has been through some horrible tenants, so I feel for you.....
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 6:52 PM on May. 28, 2011

• But with this company and this manager specifically, I think she is just lazy and trying to save money. I know that mold isn't that hard to clean, but I shouldn't HAVE to clean it!
    hill_star03

• Can't you just clean up the fridge? Mold isn't going to keep the fridge from working, so it's not a functioning problem. It just needs to be cleaned out.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:01 PM on May. 28, 2011