Lactose Intolerant?

My son (3) has always had problems with digeston. It seems like he is is always either constipated or having diarreah... Our pediatrician suggested taking him off of dairy products for about a week. It's been over a week... no milk or cheese, and he seems to be doing much better with his bm's and no tummy troubles. Just wondering if you can direct me to more information on Lactose Intolerance or have any advice for raising a toddler with Lactose Intolerance? No one else in the family has this problem.

Mama_McD

Asked by Mama_McD at 12:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Health

• http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I am lactose intolerant, and if i drink milk, it causes a whole series of digestive problems, from horrible smelling gas and burps to constipation and diarrhea.If he is lactose intolerant, they do make over-the -counter products that give some relief. If you Google it, you might come up with more information. All I can tell you is that this condition causes terrible stomachaches, so keep him away from dairy products that he cannot tolerate. Strangely, I CAN tolerate cheese, yogurt,butter, and ice cream, but MILK gives me fits!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 12:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I am lactose intolerant. I cannot have milk or ice cream. I can eat butter and a little yogurt. My sister (not related by blood) is completely allergic to all dairy. We found out that it was the ingredient called "whey" that she couldn't tolerate. She's mainly a vegetarian now. I always teased her (as big sisters should) that she couldn't have milk stuff "NO WHEY"! Then I developed it during my pregnancy. Came back to bite me in the butt! lol He might outgrow it. You could "test" him every couple of years to see if he will tolerate it. GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2008