Glucose Tolerance Test...have u had to do it?

I went in for my 28 week check up and did the regular glucose test. Doc called and said I was borderline. The cut off is 140 and I was at 142 so he wants me back for the GTT. I was not diabetic before but my MIL is diabetic...is that something that can be passed down by her? What can I do besides eat healthier???

justme782

Asked by justme782 at 5:24 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was borderline with my second pregnancy and what they will make you do is not eat after midnight and have you go in for more bloodwork. They will draw your blood four times to check your sugar about an hour apart each time. Then later on they will send the results to your doctor to see if you have gestational diabetes. I failed the fourth draw which still made me borderline but I did not have the diabetes. I had to take a dietary class and stop drinking juice, eating alot of starch like potatoes and bread, and really just cut back on sugar. I was recommended to drink water instead of juice and other drinks. I have diabetes on both sides of my family and it can be passed down to you if it is in your family and/or your baby if it runs in the family. However, in this case for you to have gestational diabetes (which on last until birth) it would depends on the size of your baby and how you digest sugar during pregnancy.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 7:47 PM on May. 28, 2011

• no, it can't be passed on to you by your MIL
    Anonymous

• Pretty much nothing. I had it with my 2nd and third pregnancy. They just did the nutrition thing with me. You just want to keep your blood sugar steady. Both babies were born 4 and 5 weeks early and though they both weighed over 6 lbs they both had lung problems. Typical of babies of moms with diabetes. This outcome isn't a given but if your Dr says to eat this, that and another I'd suggest you follow his directions. Mine went away after pregnancy and no one has had problems since. You too will probably be fine also once the baby is born.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:31 PM on May. 28, 2011

• A lot of women have gestational diabetes. Eat well, minimizes your refined sugar intake, plenty of lean proteins. And eat small frequent meals. Relax this is completely do able.
    I have low blood sugar normally, when I was preggo both times I had normal sugar level, it was really odd for me, but I adjusted. You can do it as well.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't panic just yet. The one hour test that you've already taken is sensitive to what you have eaten in conjunction with the drink, etc. I have known a couple women to fail those tests only to take the long test and come out without GD. My aunt had GD with all of her pregnancies and it was controlled with diet alone, and went away almost immediately after delivery. Try not to worry until you know the results of your long test.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:59 PM on May. 28, 2011

• The only way it can be passed down to you from your MIL is if your MIL is also your mother or your grandmother. Yikes!
    Do you mean to ask if diabetes can be passed from your MIL to your baby?
    Anonymous

• Yes, I believe diabetes can be passed down through the baby's father's family. I have it and lots of people in my dad's family have it but not in my mom's. Besides eating healthier get some moderate exercise, drink plenty of water, and carefully monitor your glucose levels. Good luck! : )
    Anonymous

• Yuck, I hate that test. I gotta drink the sweet juicey crap!! I hated it
    Boavang

Answer by Boavang at 8:16 PM on May. 28, 2011

• hope for the best, did u have a large amount of sweets b4 the test last time, dont eat sweets and if you do limit ur self to a few bites a day
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 9:15 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I meant if it can be passed down to the baby since it runs in my husbands family.
    justme782

Comment by justme782 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on May. 28, 2011