• In the Spotlight:

Weiner dogs and children..

Do you have one or know some one who owns one? My SO wants to get one for the family this christmas. We have a 13 month old and she is a little rough sometimes. I had a weiner dog snap at me when I was about 10 so I'm a bit concerned. Please give some reassurance, or a warning! We have no other pets

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 12:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• Dogs and Kids

Dogs have bad days and if he is not feeling well, a pulled ear that ... Again, never leave dogs and kids unsupervised – no matter how trustworthy both are. ...
    www.dogbreedinfo.com/dogskids.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Daschund is Aggressive Towards Children

Rather than get rid of the dog (he is after all a full-fledged member of my family), I have avoided having small kids in my house- I have no grandchildren ...
    www.thriftyfun.com/tf21117739.tip.html - 52k -
    vbruno

• Top Dog Breeds for Families

Many breeds work well with children, but always remember: There are good dogs and bad dogs in every breed. It's important to know that individual dogs ...
    www.petplace.com/dogs/top-dog-breeds-for-families/page1.aspx
    vbruno

• We have 2 wiener dogs (both female) & 2 kids (boys) the kids are 5 yrs old and 1 yr old. The smaller the dog -the meaner they are. 1 of our dogs is a toy size and honestly she is just evil & snappy but the other is regular size &bigger than normal (fat dog) & she is super sweet, my kids are rough they pull her ears & tail try to drag her around & she has never even wined or anything, the little dog mean she will try to snap their fingers & bark at them, I want to get rid of her but the bigger dog is the best with our kids. BUT it is almost impossible to house break them dogs they refuse to go out to do their business! They are over 6 yrs old & I am still cleaning mess off the carpet everyday & steam cleaning weekly to keep it sanitary for my kids! It's up to you but the best dog in the world to me is a Boxer - they are family dogs!

sorry so long but I've had a lot of experience with these dogs! LOL
    trixylynn

Answer by trixylynn at 9:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Dogs are going to snap at kids or adults when they are irritated. We have a min pin and Pomeranian and the kids have finally learned that when the dogs doesn't want to be messed with to leave them alone. For awhile the Pom was getting too aggressive so, me and my husband and oldest son (6) started working with her and she calmed down. My youngest was 15 months when we got the Pom. But, you just have to teach your child as she gets older when the dog wants to be left alone to leave her alone. Daschund's are hardy though, my MIL has one and she normally likes the kids but, we watch them with her.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I don't have one, but I know two people that do, our nieghbor behind us and the guy I work for. Both of them bark A LOT! But they also have snapped at my kids when they weren't even doing anything to them. So I personally wouldn't get one for those two reasons, but that's just my opinion! Whatever kind of dog you get, just make sure the baby isn't with it unsupervised. I completely trust my dog, but he's never alone with the boys!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 1:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2008