Really....

So he (my DH) has been fussing & stressed out b/c he says the kids should not eat on the couch or drink.... I totally agree....

Then his son is over and he gets to eat chips on the couch and he's (my dh) is trying to feed the boy a hamburger at the couch.

Sound slike a double standard.

How to calmly handle while still being loving and blending families (im not mad) Just want him to know dont expect what you dont give

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I usually repeat what they said so end up saying "I thought you said no eating or drinking on the couch?" I say it nicely

Answer by admckenzie at 6:54 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Use humor. Like, "Oh I see how it see. Haha." Get the messiest food you can find and pretend to be clumsy around the couch. Waterever ya know, you can make your point without a fuss.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:57 PM on May. 28, 2011

• OMG! I know what you mean I know he is not playing favorites but this is how I feel when this happens. In my case my ss is 17 and our 2 kids are still little (8&10) so they know better but when my ss is over I let him know to make sure to bring back whatever he took to the room bring back to the kitchen and the rest I just bite my tongue and wait till he goes back home to his mom and that is when I do a thorough clean. But I do remind my dh and all he says...well we hardly ever see him so let him have a nice time here with us so I just go with it and don't cause a seen I don't want him to pick up on any vibes from me bc we are a good and happy family. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:01 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Just tell him that all the children need to eat in the kitchen or dining room and that if the other kids see one eating in the family room they will wonder why.
    Tell him either all eat in the kitchen or on the couch, no favorates.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 7:39 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Blech on the double standard. I would call it to his attention in a nice way. A more covert way to do this is to give you children food on the couch when he is doing this with his kid.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 8:21 PM on May. 28, 2011