Can bill collectors sue you for your spouces debt (debt made before you were married) ?

My husband has a hospital bill that was made before we were married. He had to relocate due to the military. The bill was sent to our home, in my name. Bill collectors are now contacting me to pay his bill...

Am I screwed?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 7:05 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• No. You tell them to please stop calling. That as much as you adore your husband you have no idea what they are talking about. Ask for their name and address and follow up with a cease and desist contact letter to them.

Answer by gemgem at 7:06 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Its from Providence Milwaukie Hospital. I am a bit confused. I guess I didnt realize that getting married made me responcible for his debt. Even so, making me responcible for debt he made before we were married seems a bit much... :(
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 7:08 PM on May. 28, 2011

• You are not responsible for his debt and they do not have a right to call and ask you about it. Aggressively tell them to not call you again, if they do you will contact an attorney.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:11 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Nope, just asked my attorney that yesterday cuz I'm getting married Wednesday and he said no.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:16 PM on May. 28, 2011

• When you get married his dent became your debt. I learned this the hard way. DH had a care repossessed at 19. We had a savings account at this bank and it changed ownership. All of the sudden all of our savings 3,000 worth was gone one day. The bank had seized it to pay off his 10 year old debt even though his name was secondary on the account. They did not care one lick that my name was the primary. I even tried to argue that they should have only seized half of it since it was not my debt and the account carried 2 names. No go. HOWEVER they should not be contacting YOU about HIS debt. The bank took all my money and wouldn't even tell me why because it was his debt. Yet another argument we had- Excuse me you can take ALL my money but you can't tell me why!? Seriously?
    Anonymous

• no, anon is wrong. I asked a lawyer yesterday. Debt prior to marriage is his debt alone!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:21 PM on May. 28, 2011

• ~*NO*~... and if they go after him... on taxes file an "Injured spouse form" let them know that he had the debt before you were married and they can only legally go after him not shared assets

Same thing goes for those dealing with a spouse who has child support... any and ALL debts before marriage are covered under "injured spouse" with taxes
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:22 PM on May. 28, 2011

• SO the bank never should have took that money! OMG this was 7 years ago at this point I fought with those B*****s for 3 days. If I find out this was illegal after all that I will be P***ed!!!!!!!!! They told me they had every right to take it because we were married and his name was on the account. Maybe the laws have changed.
    Anonymous

• I do have to add tho, if u have an account with BOTH your names they can garnish. Me and my man (we are getting married Wednesday) have different accounts. They can not go after me or my money. They have to go after him.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:26 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I had a similar experience with my checking account being emptied due to my spouses prior debt. No warning it was just taken and then a letter was sent. I have never had anyone call me about his debt though... If they do all they do is ask me to take a message. No info is given to me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on May. 28, 2011