Potty Training a boy

what do I do? How do I know when he is ready? Tips?

He knows where is pee pee is
we have always allowed him to watch daddy go potty or go pee, advice a friend gave us, but he knows what going to the bathroom looks like
whe he is in the bath and he stands up he will sometimes pee, in bath or shower, and we say you're going pee, you're going potty and he gets all happy ad watch himself.

He is only 18mos, so I know it may be too soon, but I want to know what to look for as signs to be ready.

He stays dry for hours at a time

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 7:34 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's an e-book. Here is the website http://www.3daypottytraining.com/
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 11:26 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Those are about the signs my son showed at 2. Now he's 3 and he finally 'got it'. He let me know one day when he wanted to try and put it in the potty. I'm a big fan of just letting them do it at their own pace (as long as it's reasonable)
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 8:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I had lots of trouble with my oldest, a girl, and the whole idea of letting her do it at her own pace, so when my DS was 2 and showing some signs of readiness, I just went for it with the 3 day potty training method. Totally worked! I plan to do the same thing with ds2 who will be doing the 3 day method as soon as i have a 3 day chunk of time to devote to it. I really feel like I was enabling my DD by allowing her to stay in pull ups for so long. I realize that the peds tell everyone to let them do it at their own pace, but I feel that for some kids, it's just a crutch. The whole concept of elimination communication opened my eyes up to that thought. Readiness signs: telling you or making an effort to hide when going pee or poop. You can help the process by telling him "you are peeing" or "you are pooping" when you see that happening.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 9:52 PM on May. 28, 2011

• when he can tell you that he needs to go, when he stays dry all night, and seems interested in using the potty. My son is going to be 2 in July and shows no signs of being ready yet lol! GL mama!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 7:57 PM on May. 28, 2011

• yes I am willing to wait. As long as needed, I hear if you force it, they may have adverse effects like wetting the bed at night, or it takes them longer to fully get it down. etc
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 8:32 PM on May. 28, 2011

• where can i find this 3 day process, is it in a book. And I think I too will wait til he is 2 if I do try that. And the only signs he shows is when he pees he stands very still, sometimes will look down. When he poops he will come over to me to do it lol and then climb all over me because he is uncomfortable as a sign that he wants his diaper changed.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 28, 2011