To sue or not to sue, that is my question!

To make a very long story short, my daughter is 5 and in kindergarten! In January she decided all of a sudden one day she didn't want anything to do with going to school anymore. Come to find out she was being bullied by 4 different kids and NOTHING was being done by her teacher or the principal! It was so bad that she ended up seeing a therapist who recommended I go to school with her and make that my job... Well that lasted until one day in April she felt like she could go by herself since the kids stopped bothering her. Well for three days she went by herself and was being bullied all over again and the teacher did nothing after my daughter told her! So I took her out of the school after 4 mos of attempts to get her back to some normalcy! I ended up running out of Family Medical Leave and ended up losing my job because I was forced into homeschooling! The district knew what was going on and made no effort to put her in another school! Before all of this drama she was a people lover and active in dance... Now she doesn't trust people including my family and friends. I even tried putting her in a local gymnastics class as well as really enroll her back in her dance class.. She is not interested! So I am feeling like I want to sue the district... what do you think?

believejohn316

Asked by believejohn316 at 9:27 PM on May. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, I'm so sorry for your daughter, and for you, mama. BUllying is HORRIBLE! Just curious, how did you know they didn't try to stop it? Sometimes when adults try to stop the bullying, it gets worse. Maybe home-schooling is just what she needs. I don't know about suing... you would definitely need to show evidence that nothing was done to help your daughter. In which case, maybe you could save some other kid from going through the same thing. In the meantime, hope you can enjoy the time with your daughter, and that her confidence will grow in time. Hang in there!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Sue who? For what?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I'm not trying to be rude, so I will apologize in advance.

Have you been active with her? Meaning, do you ask questions about school when she comes home etc.? After you found this out, did you have a meeting at the school? What have you personally tried to do, to solve this issue?
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• You could try, would need witnesses,proof of the bullying maybe, documentation...I would def speak to a lawyer once you have some of those things.
    Angelgurl13

Answer by Angelgurl13 at 9:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I have several witnesses including another parent who's child was dealing with the same thing... my daughter's Dr. Is another witness....
    believejohn316

Comment by believejohn316 (original poster) at 9:33 PM on May. 28, 2011

• At the rate public schools are going I would not sue, I would report it to the school board instead and pull my kid out or volunteer everyday.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:35 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Why couldn't you have changed her school?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:38 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I'm not sure on what grounds you can sue.. I mean the school that is.. you can go after the children's parents for harrassement, but that should have been done right from the beginning.. but I'm not a lawyer, your best bet is to talk to one who deals in this kind of thing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:39 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I mean, as far as I know without a formal police report I don't think you have grounds to sue, and that should have been done when the bullying first started. I think you lost your chance :(
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:40 PM on May. 28, 2011

• THESE ARE 5 YR OLDS FOR FUCKS SAKE. PARENTS NEED TO START DOING THEIR JOB.
    Anonymous