How do you deal with sibling rivalry?

I have a 7yo DD, 5 yo DS, 2 yo DS, all are lovey and affectionate creatures to me and each other. But, there are very often times when they are extremely competitive for my attention. After the boys were fighting over me tonight, I said to DH, "UGH! I am so tired of this! Why why why is it like this?". DH said that I make them that way . . . Too dependent on me. So, my question is 2 fold: how do you handle sibling rivalry and what sort of things does a mom do to make her kids " too dependent"?

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 10:01 PM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe regular Just Mommy times might help--
    do you already do this?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:32 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes, I do. They all get "just mommy" time. Not necessarily every day for the big kids, but definitely several times per week. I hear that request a lot, too. And the big kids sometimes say "I feel like you love [child name] more than you love me". I feel like I am being manipulated, and I try to resist feeling that way but then mother guilt comes along and I don't want that feeling either.
    nepenthe429

Comment by nepenthe429 (original poster) at 7:51 AM on May. 29, 2011