Would you do this?

Ask a 10 year old to watch your dog w/o knowing how responsible that child is and w/o asking the parent if it was OK for their child to watch said pet?

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 10:15 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why would anyone want a 10- y/o having access to your home or your dog? Or have a 10- y/o child or his/her parents you may not know so well, having access to your home or your pet? I would opt for a trusted family member or friend, or use a reputable kennel.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:21 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Nope. Especially without talking to the parents first. That was just very rude of your neighbor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Wow! Your neighbor def. crossed the line. That took a lot of nerve on her part. You did the right thing!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:38 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I would check with the parents first.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:16 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I wouldnt ask without talking to the parents first
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:20 PM on May. 28, 2011

• No.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:20 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would check with the parents first to make sure it's okay.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 10:21 PM on May. 28, 2011

• To give a bit more detail, my kids were in the back yard. I guess my oldest (who is 10) decided to go check the mail (which it had already been brought to me, so I guess she had forgotten it was already gotten?), and I guess the next door neighbor saw her and asked her to watch their dog (for what reason, I've no idea).

I hear her bed squeaking...now mind you, I still hear the kids in the back yard playing, so I go upstairs to see who's come inside. My oldest is standing at her door, slightly closed, and I'm thinking, "OK, what is she hiding?" and I open the door to find a dog, sitting on my middle daughter's bed. Mind you, my middle daughter is HIGHLY ALLERGIC to dogs and cats, and my 10 year old KNOWS this. I go to try to pick the dog up, and it nips at me...its on its leash, so I start trying, very carefully, to take it to the front door to get it out of my house. The dog starts yippin' like its being hurt. Neighbor comes
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on May. 28, 2011

• and gets her dog. I told her I'm sorry if the dog got hurt, I didn't mean to, but it needed to get OUT of my house because I have a daughter who is extremely allergic to dogs.
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Does your neighbor have any children? I'm just asking because some people who haven't had any real contact with children just don't know what they are capable of or not. It's like they just assume if a kid looks reasonably mature and big then they can expect that kid to use adult judgement. I know some adults who are just clueless (but well meaning) around kids... It's NOT an excuse, but might be an explanation. Either way, I would try to find a nice way to tell your neighbor that she shouldn't ask your kids to do anything without talking to you first.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:36 PM on May. 28, 2011