Did you realize...thought about formula

Many women balk at breastfeeding after a year. But do most of you realize that you can also do extended formula feeding?

The reason that most don't is due to the cost. Since formula is the closest thing to breastmilk, why opt to put them on cow milk instead of keeping them on what is closest to what they should be drinking?

We choose to put them on cow milk (or other types of milk) because the general population feels that extended breastfeeing is icky or sexual and formula feeding is expensive.

Just a thought I had.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:43 PM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it wasn't so expensive I'd probly leave him on the formula for longer.But only because we went to formula feeding because of his allergies(yes I'm aware of elimination diets that don't make a difference for some babies).
    I really wish people would stop it with the whole formula is poison thing,my son would be dead without it. Something about wheezing and bleeding from his intestines every time he had ANY milk proteins as a newborn.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 11:59 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I BF for 2 months, went to Formula until 9 months, then went to a formula that was meant for 9-24 months until about 18 months. I am not a fan of cows milk...it's for baby cows. I am not into extended BF only b/c by about age one the bottle should be gone and the child onto drinking from a cup... breast is no different from a bottle in that respect.

Bottom line is... every woman must do what works best for her and her family... free from judgement form others!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I took all my kids off of formula at a year because they didn't need it any more. But they also don't really drink cow's milk either. They get their dairy from other sources. They only get milk at school, when we are out to eat or in their cereal. Goes for the baby, too. Or will when he's 1. I have 4 very healthy, smart, happy kids that were formula fed their first year and had little milk after that. They are the healthiest kids I know.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:50 PM on May. 28, 2011

• my son wouldn't breastfeed...sooo yeah he had formula...he's just fine...now he drinks cows milk and loves it...
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 11:20 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I couldn't care less about what society thinks! I grew them, birthed them, nurtured, cared, loved and provided for them. The ONLY opinion I care about is mine, my children's and G-D's!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I didn't switch my son to cows milk due to pressures from society or because of cost. There are actually other reasons.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:45 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I don't see how something produced in a factory is the closest thing to breastmilk..... at least cow milk is made by another animal....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:46 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Toddler formula is nothing but a money maker.... I considered it when they wanted my FTT DD on it until 18 months. It was more expense but when I compared labels? The ONLY difference for the extra money was.... a little more calcium.   TODDLER       INFANT

Anonymous

• So I stuck with the regular formula until 18 months. If I could have breast fed unti lthen I would have but the point is it is FINE for kids to not breast feed/ formula feed after 1 year. YES 2 years is recomended for breast feeding because it has antibodies in it. SOmepeople switch form Formula/ breast milk at one year to NO milk at all. Milk in general is unnessesary if you choose not to use it. I don't think there is a stigma... It just is.
    Anonymous

• there is toddler formula. I gave it to my oldest when I weaned him at 18mo(allergic to cows milk). I still look back w/ regret. My 2nd child I wised up and breastfeed him till 2 1/2yrs. And he I weaned because I just couldn't take breastfeeding and pregnancy at the same time

Anonymous