Floppy Airway..5 week old

My son had developed a nasty cough that was always followed by a raspy gasping sound, sneezing, and occasionally sticky bubbles (like thick saliva). We took him to the docs, and they diagnosed him with bronchiolitis, prescribed a nebulizer/albuterol treatment, and sent us home to go back for a follow up 4 days later. At the follow up, the doc says his lungs sound less rattly, and adds that she thinks he has a floppy airway, and that it should clear up on it's own.

Now that I'm home and reading up on it, I'm seeing that in some cases it requires surgery, can cause other issues like chronic respiratory illnesses, poor weight gain (though that part I'm not so concerned about since he's in the 75th percentile) and wondering why the doc didn't do a more thorough exam and diagnose it for what it is so that he can have whatever treatment it requires, rather than allowing it to get worse before bothering. Why do docs wait until symptoms are really serious before they bother doing anything about them? Seems to me someone said it right when they said an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm terrified that my son's going to develop sleep apnea or something aweful now. We don't go back until June 27. It seems like such a long time to wait. Ugh. Any advice on things i can do to help my son breath easier or prevent him from inhaling milk while he eats? He makes a funny noise when he's nursing like he's swallowing a lot of air with the milk, and sometimes he just screams randomly like he's in a lot of pain..he's too little to be going through all this crap.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to get a second doc or even more look at him until you are 100% with what they give you, but make sure to let the 2nd doc know what the other one said and perscribed. i hope he gets better soon!!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:11 PM on May. 28, 2011

• WOW, hun, this indeed is scary, especialy the noise he makes when he cries. Is the "floppy" in his epiglotis, or is it his esophagus or is it a floppy larynx? All three can effect the trachea. The major reason, I am thinking your Dr. is holding back on surgery because these situations can heal themselves in time. Surgery is a drastic measure in a baby this young. He would be open to many types of bacterial types of infections. While you wait, see how your son progresses, approach your Pedi about a sleep apnea machine. Another suggestion, keep your little one more in sitting position, then on his back. You, mama, need to relax, I know it is very hard to do.. but the more relaxed you are the calmer the little man will be. When he is fussy do the kangaroo hold, take off your shirt and bra and his clothes, except diaper, keep him out of a draft, Just sit and meditate about what a miracle and wonderous child you have! Sijai
    Sijai

Answer by Sijai at 12:08 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Here is another suggestion, when you first start to feed him, let your first of milk at each feeding, let you milk go into a little plastic breast milk bag. Some women, me included, when I felt the milk let down, I could squirt it several feet because it came out so fast. I would let the milk flow into a diaper until it slowed down then feed the baby. It really helps keeping gas down, gasping and choking by the baby, etc.
    Sijai

Answer by Sijai at 12:33 AM on May. 30, 2011