Baby cereal?

ok so my little one is now eating cereal in his bottle and i breastfed with my first child and so i need to know if anyone can tell me how much to put in 6 ounces of formula? my mil said one tablespoon to 4 ounces but he is hungry shortly after so i would like to just give it to him in what he regularly eats. Thank you for any help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Instead of putting it in the bottle, just mix it in a bowl and give on a spoon.

It isn't advised to put in a bottle because it causes them to suck harder and can cause ear problems.

One other thing...depending on how old he is, he may be going thru a growth spurt so he may just need fed more often rather than giving more cereal that offers no nutritional value.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:18 PM on May. 28, 2011

• 1 tablespoon. any more than that and the nipple clogs. just give him more formula
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:18 PM on May. 28, 2011

• unless you doctor has recommended i be put in the bottle I wouldn't do it. It is a choking hazard and sids risk. It was recommended back in the day for all babies but now it is on a case to case basis and *most* doctors recommend against it. If you are just ready to offer cereal then I would put it in a spoon.
    Anonymous

• just spoon feed it to him instead. If he is still hungry, give him extra formula.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:24 PM on May. 28, 2011

• If you are really intent on putting cereal in his bottle, it would still be 1 tbsp to every 4 oz. If he is still hungry give him more formula, not cereal in his bottle. All it really is is filler and will not give him the nutrition he really needs. Spoon feed him the cereal and may add a little pureed fruit in along with it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:29 PM on May. 28, 2011

• How old is this LO first of all?
    A few things come to mind. First off as PP have said it isn't recommended to mix cereal in a bottle. The other thing that comes to mind is that he may be in a growth spurt. This doesn't necessarily mean he is ready for cereal. Most ped recommend between 4-6 months to start. When they are sitting up and can take it from a spoon. Common growth spurt times are 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and 9 months. Of course they can happen any time but those are common ages.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:34 PM on May. 28, 2011

• My doctor recommended cereal due to my baby possibly having reflux. She said that the thicker formula helps with the stomach contents coming back up. She is 2 months old. Depending on how old your little one is, they make an AR formula. It is the regular formula with added rice starch. The doctor told me it poses less of the risk of choking.
    cheyegirl82

Answer by cheyegirl82 at 12:10 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't recommend ANY in a bottle. Solids are meant to be fed via spoon or self fed *unless there is a medical condition I'm unaware of*. Nothing but formula/breast milk until at least 6 mos, IMO. Then you CAN do cereal, if you want, but you can also start with a fruit or veggie instead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I'm with everyone else...if your baby is over 4ish months old, I would give it after the bottle. That way if they are still hungry they are filling up with that. It is considered a choking hazard to put it in the bottle.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 7:35 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I agree with increasing the amount of formula you give instead of adding cereal.
    kristianmommy

Answer by kristianmommy at 3:58 PM on May. 29, 2011