What Are your Plans If the Goverment Shuts Down?

How would it affect you,? if anything? What would you do in worse case situation? If we stay on this job at least until next years election, we will be OK, I have a few ideas in place, like pay off a few items I got this year. Afraid of getting into a long term home loan that will tie us to a job.

How are you prepared for the worse?

sweet11-12

Asked by sweet11-12 at 11:27 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• and I have SAVINGS to get me through several months.But I am not worried. ~ minnesota

Tell me something. Have you ever heard of the implacable law of unavailability? It means you can't buy what doesn't exist. All the savings in the world won't let you buy what isn't there. If you don't have it on hand, you would have to buy it or barter for it ... and that is presupposing that someone else would be willing to part with what they have.

This is just common sense minne. Not fear. Not panic. Common sense. Ever been to a grocery store before a storm and found empty shelves where the staples are usually stacked? Do you know that the entire country has ~ at any given time ~ 30 days of food to feed everyone? 30 days. That's it, and that is for those who get it first. The rest are screwed. Remember NOLA after Katrina?

Google this yourself. The point is, I don't worry. We're set ~ and we save big time regardless.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:35 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i am in the army so i would be affected with no pay. it makes us as soldiers that we would get our pay stopped but would the president or any of his staff? HELL NO. that is what we think is unfair? Could you be overseas fighting the war on terrorism and know you are not getting paid?
    kristianmommy

Answer by kristianmommy at 3:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'm more concerned about a gov't. collapse than a gov't. shutdown. Given the economy, the state of our debt/payments, and the devaluation of the US dollar, the collapse would be catastrophic compared to a shutdown. In that case, it's likely that ALL gov't. funded payments would cease for a while, including military pay (retired/active duty), SS, SSDI, SSI, Medicare, and all welfare benefits. Martial law would happen in many areas, gang law in many places, and a very large interruption of services (ambulance/fire/police) along with shortages of groceries and goods ~ at least initially. We would be back to the wild west, but without any of the morals that bound people at that time. Ugh.

US money may not be any good at all at that point. We do have goods and skills to barter with, a year + of food, food animals, seeds for 5 years, and land in the boonies. We have a network of friends with a similar setup ... and ammo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:40 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Do like I did in April, watch Fox news, cursing the politicians and going to bed relieved at the final hour knowing that our military was going to get paid! This topic pisses me off because all I can do is sit and watch these idiots push us deeper and deeper into a recession! But they'll make sure they get paid!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:36 PM on May. 28, 2011

• First I've heard of it ... anyone know how this would affect Social Security Disability Checks? VA Pensions?

When are we going to get rid of those morons in Washington??
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:51 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Minnesota, if you are content to believe the claptrap the media feeds you ~ everything is just fine. If you know nothing about finances and/or accounting, things are just hunkydory ... the media says so, right? If you DO understand financial matters, you would know that what Congress does/doesn't do doesn't really matter at this point. Pat yourself on the head and be happy.

I would be doing what I'm doing regardless of what shape the US is in. I have a farm. If nothing happens, I'm out nothing. On the other hand, I won't ever be one of those beating people for the last loaf of bread or catching rats for supper. And, I have cute pictures too ... which I ALSO make myself *G*

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• They will keep kicking the can down the road. Last minute deals are highly likely. Each side will act like they gave up a whole lot in the deal when in reality they won't have given up practically anything when the math is done.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:20 AM on May. 29, 2011

• A shutdown doesn't really concern me all that much ~ unless Obama screws our active duty soldiers and their families.That idea is beyond a crock of stinky stuff.

Insolvency is something else entirely, and just raising the debt ceiling will not eliminate it. In fact, raising the debt ceiling will only speed up the spiral. The national debt clock ran out of numbers for crying out loud. What does it take to wake some people up? More taxes won't fix this. Bailouts have made it exponentially worse. Printing more money will only cause hyper inflation ... or take the US dollar out of the running and devalue it entirely (at which point your 'real' savings become tp and your funny money goes up in smoke). Something has to give ... or a permanent shutdown becomes likely.

Maybe China will do personal loans so we can all cover our share of the almost $200,000 each of us now owes just to balance the budget (sans tomorrows expenses).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:20 PM on May. 29, 2011

• @letlovegrow, I can't believe this is the first you've heard of this! Can't wait for 2012! We need someone who can actually balance a budget instead of constantly putting a bandaid on it and try again in another 6 months!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:51 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I have my doubts the worst will happen. I rufuse to worry and will just keep plugging away at normal routine life. If it did happen I suppose I would be impacted with my job but my husband would not. In fact, his business would be booming. I don't worry in the mean time.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:56 PM on May. 29, 2011