Fear of giving child milk

My Son was highly allergic to milk proteins when he was a young baby(all of them this kid was still breaking out in hives and swelling up every time i'd nurse him with me living on plain rice and water). So we had him an Alumentum for six months of his live so I knew exactly what was in everything he was eating. He did not get any solids without me analyzing him for a reaction for weeks. I seriously have it written down every diaper after a new food every cry,every rash, everything got recorded in my writing if it was after something new or if it just seemed off. Yes I was anal about it I will admit that but after our bout with nursing it just scared me.
We did discover that at about eight months that his tummy seemed to be fine with milk proteins but that he is still very lactose intolerant.

We're getting to that age where WIC wants us to switch him to whole milk lactaid or goats milk in July and I'm scared to death of it. I'm still scared of milk in general for him,his Father had to be the one to find out that he was fine with it as long as it didn't have lactose because I was too scared to let him anywhere near milk in any form.

If your kids had issues were you this scared of switching? Was there anything that helped make it easier for you?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:43 PM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would try touching it to his skin first. See if he has a reaction on the fore arm. If not then let him haev a sip or two. slowly increase the amount until you are certain it isn't causing a problem.... There is also the option of just not giving milk at all. Calcium can be aquired in places other than milk products. Sesame seeds, Almonds, kelp, Kale, spinach, collards and celery are a few. Some of those are east to sneak into smoothies or other dishes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:47 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I know but I have a feeling WIC is going to freak out on us if we don't give a very good doctor backed up reason for not giving him milk. If it was an option I'd probly do soy milk for him. But yeah the forearm test sounds like it might do well since in the past one of his biggest reactions was hives.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:52 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Well WIC can not tell you how to raise your children. They will give you soy milk I am sure if you get a note from his doctor. If he has a real health issue I don't see what the issue would be.
    elismom122003

Answer by elismom122003 at 11:55 PM on May. 28, 2011

• They don't have to know. They don't, well here they don't track what you have and have not used. My BFF son is highly allergic to milk he breaks our from touching it . She gives him soy and rice for a change of pace sometimes. He can't have the almond because if nut allergies as well. You'll figure it out! And the people at WIC are always going to freak out about something. Just smile nod and say thank you. lol. Been there done that!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:58 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Misconception: Babies/Toddlers need whole milk for the calcium and other vitamins. That is WRONG WRONG WRONG

Truth: Babies/Toddlers need whole milk for the FAT CONTENT to help their brains finish developing. A Toddler's brain is still developing until around 2 years old.

Source: My MIL who has an ECE degree, teaches preschool, and has (in the past) run an in-home daycare when my husband and his siblings were young kids.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:00 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh, and the people at WIC are flat idiots. My son was about a year old when I flat refused to step foot in their office anymore. Early in the week he had a well child visit with his doctor, who told us that he was in the 95% for height/weight, but was proportional. SHE wasn't worried in the slightest, he was VERY healthy and active. Later that same week we had our WIC appointment. That (insert all known swear words here) looked me dead in the eye and said: You need to stop feeding your son so much, he's FAT.

She had NO idea how close I came to punching her lights out. Especially since she REFUSED to listen to us when we said his DOCTOR said he was just fine. Yeah, I've got a VERY low opinion of WIC.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:04 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yeah fat can be gotten other places to. Avocados, Almonds, olive oil, fish and flax seed are a few of those. You are right Rose I had forgotten about that part.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:04 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I four food budget could do it without WIC I would have stopped going in when the nutritionist told me I was going to slowly kill him from diabetes by going to formula or when the lactation consultant told me that there was nothing she could do and that I'd just have to grit my teeth and deal with horrific pain for at least the next 2 months but with the over supply it would probly be for the rest of our nursing relationship. But isn't your baby worth it even though it's obviously making him sick?
    They've been riding my ass since I weaned him and still get after me because he's in the 25th percentile for weight but the 95th for height. I'm sorry he's skinny is that what you want to hear? Should I be doing something to fatten him more? I thought that was your issue with the formula was that it was going to make him fat,so what happened?(things I wish I could say in WIC appointments)
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Getting enough fat in his diet is something I worry about because he is so skinny and I keep hearing over and over again that american kids have enough fat in their diets.But he really doesn't get that much he lives on mostly fruits,veggies,and grains with some eggs,you know it's not a very fat heavy diet.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:31 AM on May. 29, 2011

• my sis had a lot of issues with milk when she was a baby, to the point where she had to be in the nicu in a oxygen tent (was back in late 70's, early 80's) when it was almost unheard of for a baby to be sick from milk. my parents had to give her goats milk because there was no alternative that they knew of and she did 100% fine on it.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:24 AM on May. 29, 2011