What would you do?

So my 15year old stepson lives with my husband and I full-time. Yesterday he went to a friend's house after school. He texted me this evening and asked if I could come pick him up (I was told they would be bringing him home)...This happens quite often. So I had to bring my 14month old out in the rain to go pick him up. My husband told him he was not allowed to go over there anymore since they are never willing to help with transportation....I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't really want to keep him from his friends but I can't keep doing all the running around.

cmgIII

Asked by cmgIII at 11:48 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• ALL parents should be taking turns with transportation. And that includes your husband. There is no reason that the other parents can't help you out. My child would not be going very often if I had to do all the driving.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'd say stick by your hubby on this one!!! its not fair that you and your hubby are stuck with all the transportation and ur hubby is obviously doin this for u to make things easier...try to see if the friend could come over to your house..maybe that will work or see if they could hang out somewhere theres a bus line that could pick up ur s-son..but i would have to say that u need to think about u and ur 14 mon old ya know its not fair that its on u all the time to do the driving and picking up!! plus soon he will have his drivers license....
    NOWLIN8408

Answer by NOWLIN8408 at 11:52 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would say it's not really his friends parents job to give him a ride. If you don't want to go pick him up then he can't go. Have him invite the friend over to your house half the time, then that kids parents have to come and pick up their kid!! That should balance things out a bit.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:56 PM on May. 28, 2011

• He can walk, take a bus or ride his bicycle

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I wouldn't say never. I would just cut back how often. Instead of every week it's every other week. Or instead of 2-3 days it's once. It's making a point with out punishing your son.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:50 PM on May. 28, 2011

• That's what I was thinking. I am physically drained from all the driving I do for sports and everything else....I just hate getting out but want to be fair to my son also.
    cmgIII

Comment by cmgIII (original poster) at 11:52 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Here's a kicker, during the winter time, we had a pretty bad snowstorm over here in Indiana. My son was stuck over there for a couple of days. They had him call me at 8pm to come pick him up...keep in mind there was plenty of snow on the ground and it was freezing. I about went ballistic. I didn't go get him because I had just gotten my baby out of the tub but it's disrespectful things like that.
    cmgIII

Comment by cmgIII (original poster) at 11:55 PM on May. 28, 2011

• They invite him over on a regular basis so I would say it is partially their responsibility. I have went out of my way to do things for their son by driving out of town to take him to youth group and things like that.
    cmgIII

Comment by cmgIII (original poster) at 11:59 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I would go with whatever your husband decides on this one.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 1:06 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Why in the world do you expect your friend's parents to bring him home? I haul my kid's friends back and forth and their parents do the same. I can see if it is way...out of balance and you are ALWAYS or MOSTLY the one taking him home or when kids are over to your house it's that way too. Is that the case???
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 8:16 AM on May. 29, 2011