Americans arrested for dancing at Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Watch the video, through to the end, there are two versions of the same footage looped into one video, but the second video you here the police saying that the press has no right to video tape.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:50 PM on May. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I feelike starting a flash mob doing the thrller dance. This can't be real!
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 5:51 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree it was an assembly. If known in advance you were going to gather and it is meant to cause a disruption in a public place, get a permit. I had no issue locally when people wanted to gather in bikini's and other interesting attire in front of the chamber of commerce in support of tge Conferderate flag. They danced, held signs, and had what looked to be a good time. And they had a permit. I lome they exercised their freedom of speech and exprssion even if I very much disagreed with their reason for gathering. One person or two expressing themselves...fine. A group intended to be looked at and interfere with others needs a permit.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:17 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Another misleading post title- they needed a permit- did not have one- illegal assembly- end of story-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:12 AM on May. 29, 2011

• It was a peace assembly

This is why- assemblies (especially on the Mall) require a permit. The rules apply to all, evenly- as they should-otherwise local police would have to make the call on what is an acceptable assembly and what is not- it was not just "some people dancing"-it was a flash mob- they would have to apply for a permit and they did not- the permit ensures safety and adequate resources (bathrooms, insurance, a clean up plan, ect...) it also ensures the City is not stuck footing the bill for some of these services- REALLY- you do not understand why permits are required-?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:34 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'm all for the first amendment. Your free to express your stupidity how you wish. That doesnt mean you won't get arrested for breaking a law. I have the right to tell the police to Fuck off if I am being arrested, that doesn't mean I won't get tazed for resisting arrest and charged for it. These cops were just doing their job anyway. I mean, if you wanna protest something why not do it around the people that have the ability to change what your protesting? These cops don't make the laws, they just do their job. If these people wanted to inspire change, they could have went to someone or somewhere with the authority to do so. Their sole purpose however was to make a scene and act like asses. Mission accomplished.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 9:27 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Permits are required to ensure safety and logistics- also to make sure the Mall remains a place for all to enjoy- you don't want democracy- you want anarchy- no rules, no regulations-

I think if people worried more about their responsibilities than their rights- we would have less regulations- its funny, to me-its people like what you are advocating that make permits necessary- sure, come on in and have a flash mob at the TJ Memorial and leave a mess for the public works to clean up- and while you are at it- bring a huge crowd and don't make sure you have enough bathrooms or traffic and parking regulations- that is always a great idea-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:50 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It's clear that the cop giving the warning recognized the Code Pink chick....and her "boyfriend" was wearing a shirt with the same. She has caused so many disturbances in the DC area--none of which have amounted to anything, which is WHY he broke them up, and realized that they were going to create yet ANOTHER useless disturbance/protest.

God forbid, the TOURISTS who were among the group of 20-something rebels without a cause, got hurt...then the police would have had more trouble on their hands. The cops saw a threat. They dealt with it, end of story!

Besides those who were arrested are not new to the whole arrest process!! I guess if they wanted peace they shouldn't have voted for Obama!! LOL FAIL!!

"Adam vs. The Man"...oh, please!! :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:45 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Im lost!!! What does dancing have o do with the Jefferson Memorial? Those people were extremely rude to the park police doing their jobs!! They had been told yet refused to leave. The guy body slammed - good for the cops what an ass!! I am SICK of people thinking they can do whatever they want whenever they want. Yes we have freedoms but freedom should be joined with common sense? Whats next a rave on the Arizona memorial??
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:51 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Why does someone need a permit to dance ( a form of free expression) at the memorial of the father of free expression. That's what the "dance party" was about. The fact that a judge made the so-called law from the bench and violated the first amendment. What harm was being done in their dancing?

It was a peace assembly ... it only got disturbing AFTER the police went after them.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 11:44 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I am SICK of people thinking they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

So you're not an advocate of freedom ... good to know.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 11:45 AM on May. 29, 2011