How much does delivery cost!?

I am trying to put away some money for the birth. What were your hospital bills??

tasha94952

Asked by tasha94952 at 12:03 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• There should be a program in your area for Pregnant women wihout Insurance. I would call your County Social Services Dept. or better yet go in to see them ASAP. They should help you out with Prenatal visits and Pediatric visits later for the baby. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:54 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Call the hospital, and see what you can negotiate

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I had a $500 co-pay. Best thing to do is call the hospital and ask. Then see if there are any programs you can apply for if you don't have health insurance!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:05 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Depends on your insurance. With my first, I had a $500 deductible and was responsible for 20% after that was met. It ended up being about $1000 total, between hospital and OB. The OB will usually make you pay up front, over the course of your pregnancy, for their portion. Hospital you'll get a discount for paying the estimated amount up front, but they'll bill you after the fact if you don't pay pre-delivery.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:10 AM on May. 29, 2011

• without insurance you are looking at between $3000-5000 plus, you have to consider the doctors fee, scans and labs tests etc everything adds up.

as for the hospital check the ones in your area, mine was $700 per day without all the medical stuff its crazy what they charge for.

my first baby for six months of the pregnancy i had no insurance, my doctors fees were $1600 and had to b paid in full by my 24 week, my scans were $100 per one.
    vaginal/c-sections the price is very different so without insurance just beware of all costs.

gem05

Answer by gem05 at 2:47 AM on May. 29, 2011

• We paid 1200$ put of pocket for ds bc I had to be on extra fluids and lost a lot of blood with him. For my dd, it was an uneventful birth and only had 200$ out of pocket. Also, getting an epidural and having a new iv bag put on every time usually runs about 1000$ each... Plus the fee for the anesthesiologist... There are a lot of variables and no to hospitals charge the same.... I agree with ilovemypaulie.... Look I ot getting some help. Also, some insurances might deny you bc pregnancy is a pre existing condition... Also, some insurances want you to have help the job for 90 days before getting any sort of insurance.... Just food for thought.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:32 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Do you have insurance?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:05 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I just paid $14 but I also had insurance
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:10 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I do not have insurance as of now... but if I get the new job I just had an interview with- then I will have insurance. So, we will see. I am just nervous on how much the bill will be, if I don't get insurance. :/
    tasha94952

Comment by tasha94952 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Well, it depends. And if you have a complicated delivery or your baby needs additional help, the bills then skyrocket even more.

We had insurance so we didn't have to pay but the cost of my last delivery 11 years ago was $36,000+ for me and $126,000+ for my baby because she was delivered via emergency c-section and had to spend 6 weeks in the NICU. My first was a normal, vaginal delivery and that ran about $20,000 ... 18 years ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on May. 29, 2011