DD refuses to sleep in her room!

So my 3 1/2 year old has not slept in her room for quite awhile. She did very good in her own room until about 6 months ago when she started to be afraid of Monsters because they read a book a daycare. So we have tried telling her they are not real, using monster spray, etc. She is still in my bed. My husband actually has to sleep in our spare bedroom! now we have a new baby and I have both of them in my room. How can I get my oldest to go back to her room? I am moving the baby into her room soon and want both of them to be in their with the baby monitors.

cheyegirl82

Asked by cheyegirl82 at 12:07 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD went thru that at about 4... I had to put in two more night lights... that with a little coaxing and laying in bed with her to see if there was anything that we needed to move or cover up did the trick. Good luck!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:10 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have had custody of my cuz, and my litte brother for 5years now. My little brother came from a very troubled home, which caused him to be more sensitive to things. I bought him and me a walkie talkie and told him anytime he was scared he could talk to me or DH.....He needed to talk to me everynight for about 15min and would go to sleep...that lasted 3months...and then just stopped.....THey wont ur comfort....find her "secutiry blanket"
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 1:10 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I love that idea! For a few days the monster spray (lavender water) was a big comfort, but i need to get some walkie talkies!!
    cheyegirl82

Comment by cheyegirl82 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• one of my ds's favorite books is called "the monster at the end of this book" its a golden book with grover. grover does all he can to keep the pages from being turned, ex. "building" brick walls, ect, and it turns out that he is the monster at the end of the book. maybe get that for her so she can learn that not all monsters are scary, some are just like grover!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:31 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think the watching Monsters Inc also scared her... it was at the daycare. I have never seen it myself, but are the monsters scary or nice in it? I will look for the grover book. She LOVES grover
    cheyegirl82

Comment by cheyegirl82 (original poster) at 1:57 AM on May. 29, 2011

• OH that Grover book was one of my favorites growing up!! Monsters Inc was a cute movie, the monsters are nice.... but they visit thru closet doors. Maybe leaving the closet door open with a night light shining into the closet might help?? Or a pretend latch on the outside to keep them out??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:15 PM on May. 29, 2011