Are Unions Really On your Side?

I do not think so. Oh sure they get you more money and other perks, but all that is to hide what they cost you in the end. I had one job once that was afl-cio when they got done I barely had enough to pay rent let alone eat, then add what the government takes we are toast. My DH had one of those 3 way jobs, not union but contract. they took a big chunk of his check and would not pay for my insurance, so he quit and now has a very good job as a full time employee. Unions are wolfs in sheep's clothing.

sweet11-12

Asked by sweet11-12 at 12:20 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• My dad was union for a while and hated it. When he left the union he was harassed and treated like crap. He stayed on the job and made more than the union workers he was able to negotiate better pay and benefits. I am sure that is why he was treated like crap. He got merit raises and wasn't paid the same as the guy who slept all day in the union part of the building. When there was a strike we got the death threats and vandalism from the union workers. Wasn't fun at all. A few union guys would warn him of stuff and couple gave him names those people were arrested but still had their jobs when they got out. My dad had a restraining order against several of his coworkers before he retired. Some told him he should quit but he wasn't going to let a bunch of jerks run him out of a job he loved. I have no love for unions at all I remember being told I was going to die by union workers when I was 3 years old. Not cool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My dad is part of a union and I think its great. They ask for maybe a 30$ fee every month and thats it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:25 AM on May. 29, 2011

• i would say yea
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 12:26 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My husband has a union job, and the benefits he get far outweigh the dues he has had to pay. He has great health benefits, excellent retirement options, and makes a decent, livable wage. He could make far more in the private, non-unionized sector, but he would be paying more out of pocket for health care costs, which would actually make the non-unionized job pay less per hour.

I am in a non-union job, and I find that I do well. However, I wonder how much better I would do if I didn't have to bargain alone for raises and benefits.

I agree that some unions have lost their way, and are obsolete. However, we have all directly benefited from unions, who were the driving force behind many of the labor laws in place today.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:28 AM on May. 29, 2011

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ People wonder why companies want to move out of the country to get work done.

We can not compete with China and India when Americans no longer have a work ethic and are willing to terrorize people who do.

And people will whine because they can't get hired anyplace.

Screw the unions and people who support them.

Selfish.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:17 PM on May. 29, 2011