Does pineapple REALLY work????

Okay, so the cafemom ladies, my mama and the nurse who FINALLY got back to me think that I may have lost my mucus plug...apparently it's not a big deal and I don't even need to go into the hospital because it could still be quite awhile until labor starts. I would like to go head and get this show on the road I've been avoiding pineapple even though I LOVE it because I heard that it can jumpstart labor...now I don't want to...you know force anything to happen if my body and the baby arent ready...but seeing as how I'm technically full term (37 weeks) if I was to eat some pineapple and it worked...well hey...it was just time right? lol

Sorry for babbling lol...so yeah, does the pineapple thing really work?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:25 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• ohhh here:

Pineapple is said to induce labor as well. Pineapple, as well as papaya and mango, contain a proteolytic enzyme called bromelain. When bromelain is consumed with meals, it assists in the digestion of proteins. When taken on an empty stomach, bromelain acts medicinally as an anti-inflammatory agent. Therefore, naturopathic medicine uses this enzyme to reduce pain and swelling.

The mechanism by which pineapple contributes to inducing labor might be the proteolytic action of bromelain. Bromelain might help to soften the connective tissue of the cervix and, thus, bring on labor. Because bromelain is destroyed in the production process of canned pineapple, you should consume only fresh pineapple flesh if you are trying to induce labor with pineapple.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Can-I-Self-Induce-Labor?&id=467271
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:15 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Never heard of pineapple, but it couldn't hurt!

The only thing I've ever heard to really work is walking.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 12:27 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have heard of it, but it didn't work for me and ate pineapple like crazy I love it.
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 12:28 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I've never heard of that, but, I've heard that pineapple helps with flatulence (gas), lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:31 AM on May. 29, 2011

• never heard of it....but it dosesnt hurt to try & see what happens!
    BrandiM189

Answer by BrandiM189 at 12:43 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I haven't heard of pineapple either. I have heard walking, warm baths, sex, or nipple stimultaion.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 12:49 AM on May. 29, 2011

• never heard of it
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:55 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Well you'd have to eat a LOT.
    I never heard of anyone eating enough~~
    And if someone thinks it *may* have been related to laboring, it could have been a coincidence, too.
    You know how some people say drink a strawberry milkshake before breakfast or other things that they did just before labor started.
    ;-P

I do have info saved... let me see where it is....

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have never known it to work for anyone. Baby only comes when ready
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:10 AM on May. 29, 2011