First time flying

and I'm going by myself. I'm going from PA to CA. So nervous to be going alone and it's to see my dad for the first time in seven years. What are some things I need to know about plane travel for people who have flown before. Especially for flights with a two to three hour gap in departures at the transfer point.

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 12:30 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Travel

• chewing gum during take off and landing helps keep your ears from poping or stuffing up. take off and landing is loud and fast but it doesn't last long. if you get to pick your seat, sit on the wing, thats a smoother flight. take music or a book or something to entertain you and keep your mind off of everything. once youre up, aside from turbulance its nothing exciting lol it can be boring so dont fret too much about all of it. the anticipation is worse than the entire experience. definitely take things to entertain yourself. if you have a laptop with a good battery you can watch movies! but bring your charger to charge between flights. books and music stuff like that.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:34 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Chew gum during take off and landing.
    Bring something to entertain yourself.
    Turbulence is normal so don't freak out.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:40 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Flew to Florida from Oregon last month and lots have changed. You'll need ID at the airport, some airlines charge you to put your bag on the plane as well as check the weight of your bag. If it's over 50lbs there's a fee. Go to your airlines website and it will explain that there. Take snacks on the plane, they don't offer free snacks anymore, but they do sell boxed lunches, very expensive! Soft drinks, juice, coffee are free.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:01 AM on May. 29, 2011

• All liquids, shampoo, conditioner etc. must be in a 3oz. clear bottle, if you pack prescription meds they must be in original containers sealed in ziploc bag. No water bottles except what you purchase at the airport. You have to take your shoes off during security check so be prepared for that. Oh, and don't forget the most important thing, HAVE FUN!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:06 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Chewing gum never worked for me. But I have horrible ears. What did work was taking sudafed for a few days leading up to the flight, and the day of the flight. Make sure that you have a book to read, or crossword puzzles to do, or music to listen to. If you're checking bags, check your online with your airline to see if they have a checked baggage fee. I know the first time I was charged this, I was a bit shocked about it. If you're carrying any liquids such as shampoos, etc. in your carry on, make sure that the bottle is no larger than 3 oz., and make sure that all liquids that you have will fit into a sealed, quart size ziplock bag. Make sure that you have your ID handy at the ticket counter, and going through security. Wear comfy shoes for walking through the airport between flights. Pack plenty of snacks, because sometimes they charge for snacks.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:01 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Check with TSA before packing your carry on luggage.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 8:26 PM on May. 30, 2011