Kids and hunting

Ok, first of all, I am in no way against guns. I own 2 guns, both Glock pistols 9mm and a .40 cal. Well here in Michigan, they decided to lower the age of kids hunting with daddy to 10 yr old. I realize the importance of taking out the "curiosity" out of firearms can be helpful SOMETIMES, although accidents still happen. Anyway, I think the fact of a 10 yr old isn't mature enough to be able to carry gun and shoot it and be killing something. It might end up be traumatizing to some and others might enjoy a little too much. Neverless, DNR shoiuld have left the hunting age at 14 instead of just trying to make money. What ae some of your thoughts?

Please no bashing, I am tired of it. Act like a grown up instead of little babies in the play yard.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:46 AM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think 14 is too young , this is very scary
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:49 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My son is 7 and I take him hunting with me, he does not sit by himself, he does shoot if he choses to, I help him 100% of the time. He started squirrel hunting and this last year he went deer hunting, he didn't shoot but chose to watch me. He's not traumatized, he actually enjoyed it. He understands that we hunt for food, we eat everything we kill and we enjoy being in the woods. My son enjoys being in the woods, he likes to watch the animals around him. We don't shoot everything that walks in front of us, actually this year I think I let more walk than I shot. I asked him if he wanted me to shoot one to bring home and he said yes. So I did. My son grew up hunting and I don't think its right for the government to tell you how old your child has to be for them to join you hunting. I think every child is different, and some will be able to go before others.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:51 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I was going to answer this nicely but your last line shows your hypocrisy like a flashing neon sign.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 1:01 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think 10 is fine as long as they are with a responsible adult.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 1:51 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think that is way too young and very scary.you have to let people be entitled to opinions if you are going to be on here.What do you expect everyone to agree with you and tell you what you want to hear?As a mom , you have instinct and I would advise you to use it when needed.I am not trying to bash you but it seems you should know the answer to this and for future referance we have the right to disagree!
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:41 AM on May. 29, 2011

• 10 is too young. We had a hunter safety course at the camp I worked at fir 12 year olds and they were so immature. I was afraid for them. Our state should raise it to 14.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:05 PM on May. 29, 2011

• "I was going to answer this nicely but your last line shows your hypocrisy like a flashing neon sign. "
    I last few I have seen on here or evren answers, some of the women are getting nasty. One even went so far as to call me a "bad mom" how do u think that made me feel? All because I wanted some advice on my 2 yr old and a habit she picked up.

"I am not trying to bash you but it seems you should know the answer to this and for future referance we have the right to disagree! "
    I completely agree with you 100%! If I didn't want others thoughts on this subject and the differing views on ths subject, I would not have asked, instead I would said something like "this is how it is" or something like that. I do not care if their thoughts and opinions are different then mine, thats why I like living in the good 'ol U.S. of A. I just don't want people being mean and bashing me again cause my "opinion" was different from theirs.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on May. 30, 2011